Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An intelligent request for cam advice???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default An intelligent request for cam advice???

I'm not trying to sound cocky in the title there. I just don't want the thread dismissed as another mindless question in lieu of thought and endless use of the search button. I need some advice on what cam to get, and I'm actually willing to do some thinking about it. I've read quite a bit of theory, but it doesn't give me any frame of reference on which to judge the available cams. Therefore, I turn to you, the experts.

What I have...

My sig is a little out of date, but most of it is right. I've got a lid, stock MAF/TB, stock LS6 intake ('02 car, of course), stock heads/springs, QTP 1-3/4" headers, ORY (it has cat housings, but they're empty now), cutouts, and a Hooker catback (not that this matters with the cutouts).

What I'm getting...

I've got a Dana S60 on the way with 4.10's. I'll be getting some slicks soon, so traction will hopefully not be an issue. I will be buying the obvious things with the cam (springs, timing chain). I'm going to go ahead and throw an underdrive pulley on there while I'm at it.

In the long term, I'll be building a 408 or bigger shortblock with heads and such and eventually supercharging it. I'll get new cams each step of the way to compliment where I'm at at that time.

What I want...

The car is street/strip. As time goes on it will be more strip and less street. Since I'm on stock internals, I want a cam that's going to pull hard most of the way through and peak out fairly eary. I'm not sure what I can rev it to when I get new springs, but the general concensus seems to be roughly 6600 RPMs. I'm completely realistic about the fact that the best times don't always come with the best peak numbers, so the torque curve is very important to me.

What's been recommended and what I'm interested in...

Again, I don't have a frame of reference really on what's too big or not big enough, so I talk to anyone I consider knowledgable so I can gain this frame of reference. I had a brief email conversation with Geoff at TR, and he recommended the TR230/236 cam or the TR231/234 cam. The numbers look pretty good on both, but I haven't seen many dyno sheets/numbers on the 231/234 cam.

I'm completely open to any and all comments, suggestions, questions, etc., so bring them on, and thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:07 PM
11Second Club

No suggestions? No info on what kind of duration/lift/LSA/split I should be looking for? You guys usually go gangbusters on these posts!
Old 06-05-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 231/234 would work pretty well, and I'd imagine something like the T-Rak and the Torquer v.2 would also be good candidates. I'm working on building my car up as a street/strip can, and likely going with the G5x3, but that might make its power ihgher than you want.

I went through probably a hundred threads on the same topic, and spend hours on hours just looking at different cams and trying to decide what I wanted. I went froma 224/224 to a T-Rex, to the G5x3. There are almost too many cams out there to choose from. If you're doing heads, also, you might want to keep in mind that to get the best power, they really need to match well. I've pretty much decided to do a heads/cam setup at the same time, so that I can really take advantage of a well-mated setup.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for a 232/240 on a 109+0, that should peak fairly early and pull good to 6,600 if not more. maybe .615/.620 lift on lsk lobes. would be a fairly tame cam, yet produce pretty good numbers. with an intended rev limit of 6,600, you won't get a lot of hp out of that thing.

that would definitely be a strip over street cam.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
11Second Club

Do you guys agree that 6600 rpms is a good limit to rev to with springs and all stock internals?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I wouldn't rev any higher then that unless you swap to ARP rod bolts, then you can stretch that out to about 7K or 7200 rpms.