Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FMIC Pressure loss question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC Pressure loss question

I already started a trouble shooting thread awhile back on my D1sc losing/ not making boost...

I got a lil issue with my FMIC. How much boost, if any, should the FMIC absorb after the intercooler? What i'm thinking is my procharger is making 12.5psi AT the blower and only 6psi AFTER the intercooler. It's a Griffin I/C but are the FMIC's known to absorb some sort of boost?

jayson
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blownramair
I already started a trouble shooting thread awhile back on my D1sc losing/ not making boost...

I got a lil issue with my FMIC. How much boost, if any, should the FMIC absorb after the intercooler? What i'm thinking is my procharger is making 12.5psi AT the blower and only 6psi AFTER the intercooler. It's a Griffin I/C but are the FMIC's known to absorb some sort of boost?

jayson
6.5lbs pressure drop is more than the FMIC alone. I lost 2-3psi with my turbo FMIC before re-referencing the boost. Of couse there's nothing to "reference" on a SC. I'd check for leaks/blockages in the intercooler and entry/ exit pipes to the FMIC.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a lot of loss. Maybe there is a leak between where your getting the readings. From what I understand cooler air is more dense and will not read as much boost which would explain a little pressure drop if the FMIC is cooling the air better than the twins. I dropped 3 lbs. doing a Vortech but it probably adds 10' of plumbing (12 to 9). I did get 2 back by switching to a pressure side MAF.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule of thumb for a new IC is 1 to 1.5psi of drop at the cfm that you want to move through it. 3.0 psi would be very high. 6psi is off the chart high. Get your core dimensions and go to www.bellintercoolers.com and compare it to their core cfm ratings.