Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Column LOCK!.....Sucks

Old 06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Column LOCK!.....Sucks

Ive been reading for quite a while about column lock issues people have had with C5s. I got to experience it today first hand. Got stranded in Pearland....The car already had the recall performed a couple of years ago also. Luckily, I had the letter from GM in the glovebox that I received a few months ago, it promises to cover every expense including towing in the event of column lock. I'll post up how the situation turns out. I'll probably install the bypass after I get it back from the dealer.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks!!! Good luck man!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owner of my car has the plate removed by GM and I have the letter in the glove box.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Launching!

There is an easy way to unlock the column and it works every single time. Take your right hand and pull very hard clockwise. While your doing this take your left arm and turn the key to the on position. You dont have to turn the car on. If you do this correctly it WILL unlock.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cgillies86
There is an easy way to unlock the column and it works every single time. Take your right hand and pull very hard clockwise. While your doing this take your left arm and turn the key to the on position. You dont have to turn the car on. If you do this correctly it WILL unlock.
That DOES NOT work every single time. Trust me I tried it today...The car also locked with the wheels straight, believe it or not. I think the unlock solenoid simply failed altogether...Not because it was in some type of bind.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been worried about this myself since my last car. I need to research the bulletin I guess but, what exactly does the fix do? Or whats done for the fix?

I heard its something with reprogramming and you'd need to re-tune your car(if your car is tuned).

?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I've been worried about this myself since my last car. I need to research the bulletin I guess but, what exactly does the fix do? Or whats done for the fix?

I heard its something with reprogramming and you'd need to re-tune your car(if your car is tuned).

?

All you need is this.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...d=220&pcid=156

Its a very simple install
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
All you need is this.

Sold. your the man.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
All you need is this.

This was my very first mod.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Well got the car back the dealer removed the lock out plate and installed a K-wiring harness. This is the latest "fix" for the column lock. The steering wheel no longer locks but I can still hear the lock solenoid actuate. Anyone else had this done? Hopefully Im done with this issue.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Well got the car back the dealer removed the lock out plate and installed a K-wiring harness. This is the latest "fix" for the column lock. The steering wheel no longer locks but I can still hear the lock solenoid actuate. Anyone else had this done? Hopefully Im done with this issue.
Everyone I know has used the Column lock bypass module from thunder racing or another vendor. For $45 it works great and have no probs.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Under warranty my dealer replaced the lock plate with the newer version for automatic cars. This plate has no place for the lock pin to engage so the column can never lock. This is the only thing he did. No wiring harness and no re-programing. I watched him do the entire procedure.

I still get the recall notices since this was not the GM authorized fix, but they are pretty easy to put in the trash.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

I had the recall done to my 99 A-4...just as a precaution, that was a bad call because it snowballed...Soon after that recall was done (I think they removed the locking plate) I started to get Pull Key wait 10 seconds on the DIC, and had Battery issues (w/ new battery), the Lock solenoid or something like that was bad and they replaced it (it was part of the recall). I still get the Pull key...I bought a CLB from the outfit in Houston and that still has not cured my intermittent pull Key issues...

Just living with it, wish they could just delete it from the PCM.

On the bright side at least the roof is not delaminating on our C-5's like on the C-6's...
Old 06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by terry s
Under warranty my dealer replaced the lock plate with the newer version for automatic cars. This plate has no place for the lock pin to engage so the column can never lock. This is the only thing he did. No wiring harness and no re-programing. I watched him do the entire procedure.

I still get the recall notices since this was not the GM authorized fix, but they are pretty easy to put in the trash.
I do not believe they reprogrammed mine as well, because I still have the same tune in the engine. I have efilive and with my 30# injectors and cam, it would be pretty obvious if the tune at least had changed....
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I had the recall done to my 99 A-4...just as a precaution, that was a bad call because it snowballed...Soon after that recall was done (I think they removed the locking plate) I started to get Pull Key wait 10 seconds on the DIC, and had Battery issues (w/ new battery), the Lock solenoid or something like that was bad and they replaced it (it was part of the recall). I still get the Pull key...I bought a CLB from the outfit in Houston and that still has not cured my intermittent pull Key issues...

Just living with it, wish they could just delete it from the PCM.

On the bright side at least the roof is not delaminating on our C-5's like on the C-6's...

Thats a passlock Theft re-learn procedure.

Put key in,..wait 10 sec... then like 10 minutes...off ten second...10 minutes again. Or something like that. I can look it up if needed.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Thats a passlock Theft re-learn procedure.

Put key in,..wait 10 sec... then like 10 minutes...off ten second...10 minutes again. Or something like that. I can look it up if needed.
PM sent, would like to get rid of it, its kinda annoying.

Would new keys help get rid of it? or the relearn the ticket?
I read the CLB fAQ at vetteforum and there was some fuse trick I may try when I get parolled from work

Beer
Old 06-08-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
PM sent, would like to get rid of it, its kinda annoying.

Would new keys help get rid of it? or the relearn the ticket?
I read the CLB fAQ at vetteforum and there was some fuse trick I may try when I get parolled from work

Beer

PM recieved.

See what we can figure out OVA here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Column LOCK!.....Sucks