Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking thread #8 Million

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticking thread #8 Million

Hello there, I recently finished a ls1/t56 swap in my RX7 and I had a question. There is a very small tick that seems to be coming from the top of the intake manifold, it sounds like its going super fast at idle, almost like the sound you hear if you were to pull the plug wire from the coil pack and hear the spark shooting across. But its pretty quiet. Since this is my first piston motor that i've worked on i'm not too sure, I heard ls1's are supposed to be noisy motors maybe thats it?

So should I assume its a bent valve? It's a 100% bonestock engine all it has is a custom exhaust from stock mani's back and a intake, 21K miles and its a 01' engine. Thats why I posted a thread, most of the guys that have previous thread have tons of mods, but mine is bone stock! It's just weird my engine has such little miles and has no cam or valvetrain mods...
Thanks in advance!

BTW, How do you change the valve stems or is that what they're called?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all them big ol' 28# injectors a snappin
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Its all them big ol' 28# injectors a snappin
People have told me that too, lets see, so far it is either:

-Bent pushrod
-Bent valve
-Injectors
-LS1's are just noisy, get used to it!

A video is definetly going to help! I hope to have one tommorow!
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

Use a rod and listen to different parts, that should help, get you a piece of REBAR or something. I am voting for LS1 is noisy/injectors. Do a compression check if you want, that would rule out the valve if they are all the same +-5-10%.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

i doubt very seriously it's a bent valve,the push rods will bend first.ls1s are sorda noisy but the sound shouldn't be all that bad.if what you're hearing is really fast at idle it probably isn't a bent p-rod unless there are a few that are bent.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

These motors are just noisy, especially compared to a rotary. You can do a compression check if you suspect a bent valve but that is unlikely if the motor is pulling well.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The real skinny. Some lifter bores expand so much when the engine gets hot it allows a small amount of lifter bleed down thus causing the valve tap. All aluminum block LS series engines have this problem in various degrees. Comes with the territory.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

AS Promised- Videos:

You have to put the volume up a bit and really concentrate on the video and try to cancel out the static that the cheapo digi cam puts out.

***ALSO***

I was driving it today at night and the oil temps kept going higher and higher until it was 235+ The sender is located by the oil filter (where everyone normally taps) and the exhaust system is pretty close to it, you think its just the heat of the exhaust system being absorbed by the sender making it get hot? Or do you guys have it there and have no problem? Remember its a LS1 RX7 so the pipes are somewhat close which could make a difference. THANKS!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

LMAO, all I heard was a squeeky pully man I get a little noise out of my 302 and its quiet as hell internally, just the roller rockers tick a little bit, not much, you have to listen to hear it, but all the same, its not a rotary, things in that motor CHANGE DIRECTION! and when they do, there is a TINY!!!! amount of tolerance that is/has developed and its 100% normal to have a bit of noise. Nothing is perfect, if it was, you wouldnt get only 33% of the horsepower your motor makes to the flywheel. Sadly, thermodynamics and the like DO! exist.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your engine sounds fine, although a bit sluggish to rev.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, you've never heard a ticking ls1.... yours is fine, work on the tune.... the temps shouldnt be that high on a cruise though, possibly wrap the header near the temp sender, what was the coolant temps?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Temps were in the 170-180 when I wasnt on it (Big aluminum radiator) and when i was on it it was 180-200ish, I didnt bother to look at it constantly, the ls1 sure is a fun motor though