Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have got to do something...no traction

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default I have got to do something...no traction

I used to be able to hook up fairly decent from a first gear roll when I had the stock clutch and was cam only on street tires...especially on a really hot day.

But now I cant do ****....the car spins like crazy in all of first...and if I hit second hard, I can not control the car, it wants to throw me into a ditch. And I am still untuned...so it is only going to get worse.

My question is....can I run some drag radials on the street without fear of breaking my rear end? I wont be doing any hard launches...but I want to be able to at least get some decent traction from a roll...I have none right now.

H/C M6 and DRs on the street with no hard launches....will this break the rear end ? could this happen hitting second gear hard if it grabs?

I dont have the money for a 12 bolt right now.

thanks for the input, Troy
Old 06-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get d/r.......at least some newwer nittos
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you build all that power and not have a rear that can hold it??????
makes no since to me why people build a car backwards.i had a 12 bolt even when i was on stock heads,cam and exhaust because i knew what i was going to throw at it later down the road. you will be fine on dr's as long as you don't wheel hop or come out of the hole too hard above 4,000rpm's. it's not so much the rear that breaks,but the gear like a 10 bolt 4.10 because it's thinner and can't take the stress. goodluck to ya
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never go to the track...it is only a street car...and I dont have the 2500 bucks all at once that it will take to run a 12 bolt. I am a college student and it has taken me 2 years to get all the parts I have on it now...not to mention I got the car for 8k back in 04 and I still owe 3k on it.
But I get what you are saying.

Would it be smarter to just get some nittos since they last longer and dont hook quite as well as the others? I was thinking this would be better than running some MTs or BFGs...they supposedly hook like hell. Maybe the nittos would be a little easier on the rear end.

If it breaks Ill just have to park the bitch and save for a 12 bolt I guess.

thanks for the input
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nittos hook way better then the stock tires,but not so good the rear will break. you could still go with a better tire(m/t-bfg) and if you run them with more air 20-25psi they will hook but again not so well the rear will break. you don't have alot to worry about,the street don't hook like the track does. so...get some tires keep the luanch down around 3,000rpm's and on the street you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nittos suck but I think for you they're a good choice for what you wanna do.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

I ran 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson DRs with ~400whp (M6) with a 10 bolt for ~5000 miles. It is grabbing 2nd gear that is going to leave you stranded, my friend.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
CARTEK Racing

I ran BFG DR's with H/C for over 35 1/4 passes launching at 4700rpm before my 10-bolt gave out, back in 2002, got myself 11.8s out of it with a stock clutch.

I agree however with what was said before. You should have gotten a 12-bolt/9-inch first. The put power down. I understand the whole "street car" thing, but then why do you need all that power? Surely you can't use it on the street, aspecialy w/o traction, so that excuse just does not work.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:17 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I ran 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson DRs with ~400whp (M6) with a 10 bolt for ~5000 miles. It is grabbing 2nd gear that is going to leave you stranded, my friend.

You of all people should not talk about driving. Granny shifting, not double clutching like you should, you'r lucky that 100 shot of Naaaaaaws didn't blow the welds on the intake.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured grabbing second would be killer...hopefully some nittos will be forgiving on the street. If it break Ill just have en excuse for needing to save for a 12 bolt...Im sure as hell not going to put another 10 bolt back in it.

ws6transam01
Well my main excuse is the initial cost. It is hard for me to save up 2500 bucks to spend all at once. Like I said...it took me 2 years to save and get the car to this point. I have never been to the track...and I just didnt see a need for it right now...I guess I would rather have the power first.

So what? I am a dumb *** for not having a strip ready rear end and suspension set up? didnt you just say that you did the same thing?
I need all that power because I like it...why else? I understand it being kind of pointless because I cant get it to the ground...but I still like to know that I have got some power under the hood I guess.
And yes I can use it at times...its called highway roll racing...and I think it still proves a point.

I am planning a 12 bolt for next summer...until then I guess Ill just have to take the flames...I dont think I am the only one running h/c on a 10 bolt.

Are you trapping 130 N/A?...that is very impresive. What kind of power are you putting down?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Nitto's are pretty good on the street from what I have seen. (I had a set of stock size Nitto's on my Z28 with an A4) Now I have MT DR's and they are awesome. Ran 11.80's at the track with a 1.6 short time. H/C car with a stock 10 bolt.
My uncle has a set of stock size Nitto's on his WS6 and he broke his drive shaft on a 4k dump at the track with a H/C car with a stock 10 bolt.
I guess what I'm trying to say is things break. I just had a connecting rod go. 10 bolt is still fine though. (granted it's getting replaced with a 9in at the same time my 403 goes in later next week!!!) bottom line, start saving for something to break, hopefully you have enough saved for whatever does go.
Good luck and happy modding!