Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Long post, Quick ?, HP vs. Torque

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long post, Quick ?, HP vs. Torque

I noticed on most dynos the peak torque is higher than the peak hp. I know this is especially true with n2o. When my car was dynoed, could only squeeze 2 untuned pulls this day, my hp and torque were almost identical. Basically i wanna know what determines for the hp to be more, the same, or less than the torque output? This comes down to me not totally understanding the difference between the 2, i've heard the saying " horsepower sells cars and torque wins races" but dont totally understand that either,lol. Thanks for any help
Old 06-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Banned

cars with a unlocked high stall will do that too---high torque, low hp
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, a person would rather buy a car with a ton of horsepower then not and torque gets u moving. look at it like this, torque gets u moving and horsepower is what keeps u moving.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11SECDWS6
I would have to totally disagree with that based on my experience and a few others I have seen on this board.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Old Drag Racer

Originally Posted by 11SECDWS6
Well, using my car as an example this was exactly what happened. When you first nail the gas on the dyno with a large unlocked stall, you get a false torque spike. Mine spiked over 400 ft/lbs when Jeff Creech first nailed the gas on the dyno. I think that's what 11SECDWS6 is talking about. All big stalled cars will have this false spike on the dyno. Too bad it's not legit.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
I would have to totally disagree with that based on my experience and a few others I have seen on this board.
Well...what do you call this:

409rwhp/493rwtq

as referenced in thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/521354-stalled-th400-low-compression-n-402-results.html

And this: 464rwhp/504rwtq

As referenced in thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/475800-408-et-245-heads-dyno-numbers.html

Just for starters….
Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by jasonlouis22
I noticed on most dynos the peak torque is higher than the peak hp. I know this is especially true with n2o. When my car was dynoed, could only squeeze 2 untuned pulls this day, my hp and torque were almost identical. Basically i wanna know what determines for the hp to be more, the same, or less than the torque output? This comes down to me not totally understanding the difference between the 2, i've heard the saying " horsepower sells cars and torque wins races" but dont totally understand that either,lol. Thanks for any help
Torque is the force put out by an engine. HP is the work done by an engine. HP wins races, NOT TQ.

Torque and Horsepower are related to each other by RPM. HP = (TQ x RPM) / 5252. That is why at 5,252 RPM HP = TQ.

Torque is a generally a function of cubic inches. You can build a 427 LS1 with stock heads and it will still make around 510 Ft. Lbs. of torque, it will just be down big time on HP, so it will be slow.