Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem, need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem, need help!!!

Hey guys, I have been having a slight but annoying electrical problem. My voltage gauge is bobing constantly. It is deffinately an electrical problem because at night my lights also flicker with the bobbing of the voltage meter. It does even more when the rpms come up (alternator???). When I shift gears and the rpms drop the voltage meter will sometimes go form 13.8 to about 12.5 or so but not all the time. Could this be the alternator. When I did my cam install I had to remove the alternator and re sodder a connection that I accidentily pulled out and the sodder is holding strong so I don't think it is this. Also, I reconnected the ground securely when I put the alternator back in. There is a lenght of copper band wire that runs by the alternator and I had to remove the tape that held the band wire to the wire I pulled out and I haven't put any tape back on it. Does anybody know what that band wire is or does? This problem just recently started to occur. My battery indicator is still green so I don't think it is the battery as I only have 37000 miles on the car. All suggestions are appreciated.
01 Pewter Hurst M6 (I'm not 70 yet, ha ha) SS #1215
SLP Options: Chrome 10 Spoke Wheels, Dual Dual, SS Grill
My Options: Wheels: 17x9.5 17x11 zr1 replicas with nitto 555 fronts and 555 extreme drags
Mods: Every bolton plus a thumpn' 224/224 565/565 106icl 110lsa comp xe cam
Wheels: ZR1s with nittos (315 in the back)

Yes, that pewter idiot screaming down the road was me!!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:54 PM
wrencher

Default Re: Electrical problem, need help!!!

Yes it does sound alternator related. The wire down by alt. is it a ground strap? Don't trust them built in hydrometer eyes. You should have the whole start/charging system checked , but all these cars do this in different degree's of severity.Some are not to bad & others dim headlights bad, thats when you should get it looked at. When you first start the car it charging the battery up & runnin the air pump= hi amperage draw on charging system. The more amperage that is demanded of the alternator, the less amount of regulated voltage can be maintained. Hope it helps .
Old 03-05-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Electrical problem, need help!!!

Thanks and yes I think that wire was a ground strap (didn't look like it was connecting two sources of voltage).