Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me diagnose this damage...pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me diagnose this damage...pics.

I was planning on doing a valve spring swap on my C5, when I got the covers off the heads I saw this. (See pics)

It looks like the rocker arms gouged every one of my intake retainers. What could have caused this? The heads are ARE stage II's that I bought a couple years ago. The work was done by a shop before I started doing my own installs. Another problem I'm having is that the retainer locks aren't stock...how many different types of valves/locks are there...how should I go about finding out what kind they are?

PS It's probably important to note that after my heads/cam install the valves hit all my pistons due to degreeing the cam improperly. The heads were supposedly sent to a machine shop to have all the damaged parts fixed or replaced. Is it possible that the damage to the retainers was done on startup the first time and the shop never replaced them? I need to get this figured out.......
Attached Thumbnails Help me diagnose this damage...pics.-dsc01244-small-.jpg   Help me diagnose this damage...pics.-dsc01245-small-.jpg   Help me diagnose this damage...pics.-dsc01248-small-.jpg  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The retainer diameter was too big for the geometry of the rockers to clear.
Some larger diameter retainers require rocker notching on the inside lower arc to clear.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Predator...what do I need to measure to make sure this doesn't happen again. I know the heads are milled, the pushrods are 7.350's...I don't remember exact specs of the cam though...something like 226/226 .580/.580 on a 114lsa. That's as much as I remember because the install was done years ago. I know the valve stems are a larger diameter than stock because the PRC gold Ti retainers wouldn't even fit over the end of the stem.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well there are a few choices:
Without removing heads:
1- Rotate the motor by hand with rocker on and see point of contact. Grind one, reinstall, see if it clears.
When it does, then do it to all the rockers.
2- Find a spring that requires a smaller diameter retainer, but still fits the valves.
3- Find aftermarket rockers that will clear

With head removal:

1- Replace valves with ones that accept retainers that will clear rockers.
That also mean guide and valve job + springs.(basicaly rebuild)
2- Buy other heads assembled.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Well there are a few choices:
Without removing heads:
1- Rotate the motor by hand with rocker on and see point of contact. Grind one, reinstall, see if it clears.
When it does, then do it to all the rockers.
2- Find a spring that requires a smaller diameter retainer, but still fits the valves.
3- Find aftermarket rockers that will clear

With head removal:

1- Replace valves with ones that accept retainers that will clear rockers.
That also mean guide and valve job + springs.(basicaly rebuild)
2- Buy other heads assembled.
Damnit...I knew I wasn't gunna like the answer. I really didn't need this PIA right now. So basically the shop is to blame?