Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about spool....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? about spool....

Ok, so since the car keeps launching left, we wanted to see if a spool is gonna solve it, but I don't have the money for one just yet and am goin racin again on the 18th, so I pulled the posi out and my buddy locked it up like a spool. I put it back in, and took it for a drive yesterday, and it's pulling right really bad like the alignment is off if I let go of the wheel (and I have to hold the wheel cocked left to drive straight), yet the front wheels are straight with the steering wheel straight. Is it possible that now b/c of the spool and both tires being powered at all times, that now i'm noticing how out of alignment the car is? I went over all the suspension today and everything is lined up as even as I can get it, so it's not that, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any opinions, just lookin for ideas before I go and spend money for an alignment and it's not fixed (plus, I don't know of anyone that does a good alignment when the car has two diff tire sizes from front to back, a lot of guys turned me away when I first went to get one, and not sure if the shop that did do it did it right)! I also am goin to put my street tires back on later and see if it still does it, just incase it's something with the slicks.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u try and swap front tires left to right and drive it. if it pulls the other way it is tires. also with your car leaving like the pic it could knock it out of alighnment so put the street tires on and go to a good shop that u can trust and have them check it atleast and get the specs from them and what the alighnment is now. could point u in the right direction.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ou812/z28
did u try and swap front tires left to right and drive it. if it pulls the other way it is tires. also with your car leaving like the pic it could knock it out of alighnment so put the street tires on and go to a good shop that u can trust and have them check it atleast and get the specs from them and what the alighnment is now. could point u in the right direction.
Yeah, that's the problem, I don't know anyone who's good around here, i'll have to look into it, cuz I think it's the alignment, put the street tires back on and it's not as bad, but it's still there.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

your car leaves like mine so i have to tweak the front suspention every once in a while. good luck......
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

your car leaves like mine so i have to tweak the front suspention every once in a while. good luck......
Thanks. I definately think I could have tweaked something, cuz a bunch of times now while up in the air like in the pic, i've had to let out cuz she was treckin left and she smacked down hard, and a couple of those times i've had the wheels cocked upon landing too, just did it this past weekend and this is the first time drivin the car since then, cuz I was workin on it gettin the posi locked up, so I may have tweaked something for sure. Gonna try and get it in for an alignment before I go racing again next weekend, and hopefully now she'll go straight so I don't have to let out of big wheelies anymore and can get some new bests!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

when u leave keep the wheel straight. put a peice of colored tape on the top of the wheel for a visual,to keep it straght. and don't let out. i went 170ft at gulport dragway and did not get on the bumper.it is the longest dot/radial tire and 2nd overall there.all i did was pull 2nd and hoped it landed straight. thank god also for the MADMAN save your oil pan bars bc it was not a pleasent landing..
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

when u leave keep the wheel straight. put a peice of colored tape on the top of the wheel for a visual,to keep it straght. and don't let out. i went 170ft at gulport dragway and did not get on the bumper.it is the longest dot/radial tire and 2nd overall there.all i did was pull 2nd and hoped it landed straight. thank god also for the MADMAN save your oil pan bars bc it was not a pleasent landing..
Oh trust me, I don't want to let out, but when the car takes a shot left, nothin you can do but let out, and thank god for my stock k-member, that's what's savin me, those landings sound painful!!!! I already have madman's syab's for whenever I get a tubular kmember, cuz like I said, the landings just sound and feel nasty, it hits hard! Like I said, we're thinkin she was goin left b/c of the posi, so hopefully with the rear locked up now she will go straight, cuz we've checked everything in the suspension and everything seems perfect.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

just keep us informed....
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

just keep us informed....
Okey doke, will do!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

What is your suspension setup like (ie: specs of parts, and how are they setup)?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secSS
What is your suspension setup like (ie: specs of parts, and how are they setup)?
Madman t/a with front mount in the lowest hole to try and keep her on the ground with -2 degree pinion angle goin just off the pinion like he said, hals all the way around with hal springs up front and stock springs rear, bmr extreme duty swaybar out back (had a buddy who's my weight sit in the car and with the right rear endlink unhooked I adjusted the left front spring till both sides in the rear measured pretty even from top of wheel well to ground since I don't have access to corner scales and then rehooked endlink up with no preload while buddy was still in car, this was done after the launch in my sig pic, so hopefully she won't twist anymore), badz lca's that I adjusted both tires to be even as best as I could, bmr panhard that again I adjusted rear to be centered as best as I could, and it has bmr tubular subframe connectors and a 10 pt 1-5/8th chromemoly cage.

Oh and almost forgot, has lca relocate brackets with the lca's in the lowest hole.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

i would think its out of alignment from smacking down crooked just my 2cents
Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

devon, who put the lca brackets on the car, ive always seen a car either go straight or go right, cant say ive seen any go left, mine pulled right a lil bit for a while cause i was overpowering the stock rear swaybar and engine torque twists the car that way if its not tuned correctly, i had a spool then, i got a real sway bar and now it comes out the hole straight as a arrow, if it is going left i would have to double check your rear end alignment make sure its not a lil to forward on the right or lil to far back on the left, do you have adjustable lower control arms? my tires dont look perfect front to back in the wheel wells on both sides, one sides a half inch more to the front than the other just incase you went off the wheel wells to align it.

And under NO circumstances do you turn your wheel while its off the ground, wait till it hits to make any correction or you will either destroy a front end or wind up in a wall
Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

oh btw, you will need to put some load on that bmr sway bar, ive got mine loaded up pushing up on the right rear and down on the left front and thats what it took when i was at 1.40 and high 1.3's now that im 1.35-1.38 range i noticed im just starting to slightly kick to the right a lil bit, dont notice it in the car but you can see it in the video from behind so i may need to go ahead and ad a tad more, so i think you will definatly need a lil preload on it, not just set neutraly cutting low 1.3's
Old 06-09-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
devon, who put the lca brackets on the car, ive always seen a car either go straight or go right, cant say ive seen any go left, mine pulled right a lil bit for a while cause i was overpowering the stock rear swaybar and engine torque twists the car that way if its not tuned correctly, i had a spool then, i got a real sway bar and now it comes out the hole straight as a arrow, if it is going left i would have to double check your rear end alignment make sure its not a lil to forward on the right or lil to far back on the left, do you have adjustable lower control arms? my tires dont look perfect front to back in the wheel wells on both sides, one sides a half inch more to the front than the other just incase you went off the wheel wells to align it.

And under NO circumstances do you turn your wheel while its off the ground, wait till it hits to make any correction or you will either destroy a front end or wind up in a wall
I had a shop weld the relocate brackets in cuz I don't know how to weld, and yes I do have adjustable lca's. If you don't go off the wheel well, what do you go off of to line them up? And it's just a force of habit that i'm turning the wheel, I gotta try not to!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

oh btw, you will need to put some load on that bmr sway bar, ive got mine loaded up pushing up on the right rear and down on the left front and thats what it took when i was at 1.40 and high 1.3's now that im 1.35-1.38 range i noticed im just starting to slightly kick to the right a lil bit, dont notice it in the car but you can see it in the video from behind so i may need to go ahead and ad a tad more, so i think you will definatly need a lil preload on it, not just set neutraly cutting low 1.3's
Well technically it's got load on it while no one is in the car since I set it with no load with driver in the car, correct?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First thing you need to do is square the rearend. If the car is trying to pull to the left with the steering wheel straight and a spool then start in the rear. Once it is straight then have the front aligned with the rear.

225-343-9029
Old 06-09-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Well technically it's got load on it while no one is in the car since I set it with no load with driver in the car, correct?
um, not exactly, if you get out the car it may pull up on the driver side endlink a tad but you need to push up with the passenger side endlink to load it like im talkin about. but like brian and i both said, sounds like your rear isnt square with the car, i squared mine using the front end because it drove perfect when i pulled the factory one out and i measured center of front wheel to back wheel on each side and when i welded in the relocation brackets it worked out perfect, i dont even have adjustable lca's, if the lca brackets are welded on properly you should be square with both lca's adjusted identical, take um off and line them up hole to hole side by side and check just to see for kicks and giggles.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

um, not exactly, if you get out the car it may pull up on the driver side endlink a tad but you need to push up with the passenger side endlink to load it like im talkin about. but like brian and i both said, sounds like your rear isnt square with the car, i squared mine using the front end because it drove perfect when i pulled the factory one out and i measured center of front wheel to back wheel on each side and when i welded in the relocation brackets it worked out perfect, i dont even have adjustable lca's, if the lca brackets are welded on properly you should be square with both lca's adjusted identical, take um off and line them up hole to hole side by side and check just to see for kicks and giggles.
Use your LCAs (if adjustable) to align your rear axle this way. Like Rodney said, it looks goofy, but runs straight. I adjusted Jen's LCAs like this and the car can pretty much go down the track by itself (alignment wise). Otherwise the rest of the suspension looks good.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for all the advice guys, definately appreciate it!!!! Oh and Rodney, I think the relocate brackets were installed backwards, cuz instead of the hole gettin closer to the front of the car as you go down a hole it gets further away (this is the reason i HATE letting anybody touch my car cuz they never do anything right, that's why I do everything myself, I need to freakin learn how to weld, either that or Madman needs to move shop here to South Florida! )!