Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can you store race gas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long can you store race gas?

Just curious, cuz I got it outside in the car port in a 5 gallon jug, it's not in direct sunlight, but it is outside. I looked in my 1 gallon cell, and the fuel in there looked crystal clear and I just topped it off with what I had sittin in the jug (only been sittin there a week) and it looks a little cloudy, not super bad, but not as crystal clear as what was in the cell. Has the gas gone bad? Should I start keepin it in the house? Thanks guys!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it in a cool shaded place, never in direct sunlight or in an area that can get hot. I have mine stored in my garage, I wouldn't feel safe keeing it in the house ... unless that was my only option.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Keep it in a cool shaded place, never in direct sunlight or in an area that can get hot. I have mine stored in my garage, I wouldn't feel safe keeing it in the house ... unless that was my only option.
Well, it's shaded in the car port, not in direct sunlight, but i'm sure it gets hot in there, it's florida, it's hot anywhere unless ur in a/c, so should I continue to keep it outside or bring it in? If I have to bring it in I will, but would prefer to leave it outside so my fiancee doesn't bitch at me, but if it's gonna go bad outside, i'll definately bring it in! Should I drain out what I just put in the cell since it's a little cloudy, or should it be ok, it wasn't super cloudy, just not crystal clear.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

It doesn't sound right. I have seen some C16 stored over two years and it is still clear, but not as "potent". Could it be the race gas is being contaminated? It shouldn't be cloudy. Try it, bring in the stuff and see if it get's any worse ... just tell her it is a science experiment for work.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secSS
It doesn't sound right. I have seen some C16 stored over two years and it is still clear, but not as "potent". Could it be the race gas is being contaminated? It shouldn't be cloudy. Try it, bring in the stuff and see if it get's any worse ... just tell her it is a science experiment for work.

Hey hunnie, I wanna see if this explodes and blows up the house!

Old 06-09-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

I would get it "inside" somehow - could be taking on moisture since it is so humid down there. Exterior storage room is good, or interior closet if that's all you have.

A fellow racer had these huge ziploc bags, would be good to have a couple of those to keep it airtight.

Al
Old 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1

Hey hunnie, I wanna see if this explodes and blows up the house!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We keep race gas for the Migets in the trailer for a week or two at a time and I'm sure its gets pretty hot in there. Never goes bad though
Old 06-13-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

The only reason I see why not to keep it in a hot area, is due to the fumes expanding and causing a potentially explosive situation. I have a spare can of 87 octane in our trailer (for our the pit ATVs) and the can will expand a lot. So much I have to bleed out the pressure from it to keep it from retaining too much of the fumes. A small spark and it would be over.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cld069
We keep race gas for the Migets in the trailer for a week or two at a time and I'm sure its gets pretty hot in there. Never goes bad though

Thats not very PC....I believe they prefer "little people". Besides, I think it's illegal to keep them locked in a trailer....I keep mine in the garage.

I've read you can store race gas almost indefinitely as long as its sealed up and in a cool dry place. Race gas is oxygenated and if not sealed up will lose some of it's oxygen content. Car won't run as strong as with fresh fuel, but it will run.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

we keep the little people in the garage, we just leave the leather straps we whip them with hanging in the trailer
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Could it be like a film from the plastic jug, it's a brand new VP 5 gallon plastic jug.