LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Failed Emissions Miserably!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Angry Failed Emissions Miserably!

I'm freaken pissed. Today I failed the PA state sniffer test in all 3 categories and I freaken tripled the state maximum numbers for each category. I just put on new plugs/wires and new 02's so its my freaken computer tune. I had my PCM tuned by MadZ28 and now not only did my mpg go down from 15 to 10 but I completely failed the freaken sniffer test. Apparently my car is running so rich that my cat can't get rid of any the harmful gases. What the heck should I do, MadZ28 won't respond to me and I need a stock computer or something I guess???
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a new cat
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

I can see A new Cat but why so rich?
do you have files from madz28............
Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

is your car obd1 or obdII?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

He has a 1995, so it should be OBDI. You might have to get it re-tuned there bro..
Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Its an OBD1 and I dont know why its so rich. I have a brand new Carsound Cat on there as well but I heard a rich running car can fry these cats so I dunno. I definetly know that my tune is way off because everything is wack. All I have from MadZ28 is my ordersheet.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

I like LT1 Edit, I watched the guy that did mine, he did all kinds of ****. It runs like a champ, I have to get the EGR tuned out when I block it off. He is cool about it though, I have to get the shift points adjusted, he is going to do that for me.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where is your cat located? It's probably too far down the exhaust stream to heat up enough and work properly. You might need to switch to dual cats that are located closer to the engine. But I would start with going back to a stock tune and see what the numbers look like.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id love it if mine would pass emmissions but theres no way in hell...last time i used my schools sniffer i was on 7 cylinders and the sniffer stopped at 9999 hc's (limit is 250 in texas atleast)
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL8Jeff
Where is your cat located? It's probably too far down the exhaust stream to heat up enough and work properly. You might need to switch to dual cats that are located closer to the engine. But I would start with going back to a stock tune and see what the numbers look like.
Right after the Y which may or may not be a problem. I'll have to see after I get my new computer on tomorrow. I really hope I don;t have to redo my exhaust again
Old 06-09-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to say but I agree with Jeff... it's probably just not getting warmed enough. I passed with LTs, DUAL cats in the y-pipe, and that was NJ sniffer. Good luck man.

-J
Old 06-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

Failed here too, I also have the cat after the y. maybe I might have to hack away and add a cat on each side of the y and keep the third, and get it tuned. This blows
Old 06-09-2006, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Dual Cats should be enough, that third might take power away. I would put one between the Collector and the Y of the pipe, that would probably be the best bet, and keep power loss to a minimum.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to hook it to a scanner and see what your fuel trims are doing.

how hot was the car when you had it tested? the hotter the better
maybe throw your stock tstat in it

your running the stock fuel regulator correct?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

I have the stock thermo back in just for this occassion, I even disconnected a fan relay just so i'll run hotter. and yes it's the stock fuel regulator. I think a tune is in order.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just dont see how the tune is to blame.
i dont think he would even change much in the part throttle tune.
plus your o2s are still going to be adjusting.

what kind of emission test is it? idle or the dyno type

did you get a ses light when you pulled the relay?

it might be that the cats arent heating up, it they are after the y-pipe on a long tube car thats pretty damn far.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

I dont mean to highjack stealth formula's thread but we seem to have the same problem.
to answer your question blkchevyz, I'ts a dyno type test, and no I did not get a ses light when I pulled the relay. You may have a point about the cat being to far back. I appreciate your info
Old 06-09-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jessebuickguy
I dont mean to highjack stealth formula's thread but we seem to have the same problem.
to answer your question blkchevyz, I'ts a dyno type test, and no I did not get a ses light when I pulled the relay. You may have a point about the cat being to far back. I appreciate your info
i didnt have a problem getting my cammed car to past with long tubes and 2 cats right on the collector. it actually did the quick pass.
but thats a foot or two closer then then after the y
Old 06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by blkchevyz
i just dont see how the tune is to blame.
i dont think he would even change much in the part throttle tune.
plus your o2s are still going to be adjusting.

what kind of emission test is it? idle or the dyno type

did you get a ses light when you pulled the relay?

it might be that the cats arent heating up, it they are after the y-pipe on a long tube car thats pretty damn far.
I agree, it's probably not your tune stealth, there's not really much to adjust fuel wise that's not WOT related in a mail order tune.

You can change the MAF tables to get rid of part throttle fueling issues but that is very cer specific and I know for a fact madz28 does not do that.

If your car is running rich at part throttle or idle it is NOT a tuning problem.

Only thing I can think of is having the air pump disabled, but that's not really a standard thing to do either.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I'm freaken pissed. Today I failed the PA state sniffer test in all 3 categories and I freaken tripled the state maximum numbers for each category. I just put on new plugs/wires and new 02's so its my freaken computer tune. I had my PCM tuned by MadZ28 and now not only did my mpg go down from 15 to 10 but I completely failed the freaken sniffer test. Apparently my car is running so rich that my cat can't get rid of any the harmful gases. What the heck should I do, MadZ28 won't respond to me and I need a stock computer or something I guess???
Start off by giving us they actual #'s and the limits of each HC, CO, Nox
I used my stock tune with Pacesetters and dual small bullet cats and just barely passed. Its possible that your single cat is not efficient in its location and remember that the universal cat is less eficient than stock in emission reduction to begin with. The EGR is going to be your next obstacle because theres not enough back pressure with headers for the valve to function. Ion can give you a header EGR tune thats supposed to work. Generally the tuning will lean out the stock fuel curve as GM runs them rich. Lastly when you live in a location that has emission testing with the sniffer its in your best interest to keep your stock pcm for that purpose.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions Miserably!