Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp 921's and Patriot Gold's What's the difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp 921's and Patriot Gold's What's the difference

So what I've found is about $300-$400 is the only difference between the cost of the two kits. That seems awfully excessive considering what you get. There has got to be something more that sets these spring kits apart. Both are dual spring setups with Ti retainers, seats, seals, locks etc. Both are good to 0.650" valve lift. Both have a reliable track record. I think the comps are a little stiffer. Anybody know anything on these? Warranty or customer help from the manufactures? How about advice for use with a Comp XE-R 238/240 .609/.604 112 cam?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, youre paying for the name. Comp has a less than stellar track record for customer service.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a really good question! Per the cam guide sticky:

921's:
O.D: 1.300
I.D: .870 (outer spring)
I.D: .655 (inner spring)
135 LBS @ 1.770
400 LBS @ 1.220
COIL BIND @ 1.040
MAX LIFT .650

Patriot Golds:
O.D 1.29
135lbs @ 1.800
385lbs open
coil bind @ 1.08
.650 lift

Do the slight difference in coil bind and such make it worthwhile? I'm guessing not. I've never heard of anyone having problems with the Patriot Gold's.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

If you look at them side by side, the comps are much thicker than the prc and patriots.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Patriot Golds on my cam and so far so good (its only been a few heat cycles and 60 or so miles...but all seems well with the springs). I was worried at first because my cam has .646" lift, but all seems well and no binding issues (as there shouldn't be). I'd say buy them...can't beat the $255 shipped price from BYUNSPEED
Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Shop I'm having install my cam said the Golds were a great spring, but tend to valve float on their VERY high lift cams (what he said, honestly I don't have any experience in that area). Said he only likes to install the 921's. Personally I don't have a radical cam, so I just bought the 921's so I never have to worry about valvetrain control or wear.

I'm sure much of the price is attributed to names, as so many things are.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Teching In

running prc with a 648 lift, no problems yet about 1000 miles of hard driving everyday.prc says there good for 660 lift
Old 06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Cant beat the setup for the money. The tendency for valve float isnt because of high lift alone. It is because of high lift and a very harsh ramp. The more aggressive the lobe, the faster valve is moving when it transitions from open to close. So a 238/246 .640/.646 XE would be less prone to float than a 228/230 .640/.646 LSK.

Brandon

Last edited by xfactor_pitbulls; 06-10-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

From the cam specs above in my original post,Comp XE-R 238/240 .609/.604, does anybody have any idea as to the RPM threshold at which the Patriot Golds will float? Here is some more information that I didn't provide above. My intake and exhaust valves measure 2.180 and 1.625 respectively. The additional mass of these larger valves should alone bring the critical rpm of valve float down. Any info on the Patriot Golds valve float would be great.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Wowee, thats a big valve. You still have low enough lift to shim the springs a generous amount. My guess is that you should be ok if you shim with .050-.060 of coil bind. Maybe not though, its hard to say with that valve. Do you have the weight of the valve handy?

Brandon
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What your paying for is the quality of the spring wire in JUST the springs. Comp also has much higher Ti parts prices, but as far as just the spring goes the spring is MUCH cleaner and will last longer.

Bret
Old 06-10-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Wowee, thats a big valve. You still have low enough lift to shim the springs a generous amount. My guess is that you should be ok if you shim with .050-.060 of coil bind. Maybe not though, its hard to say with that valve. Do you have the weight of the valve handy?

Brandon
I don't have the mass of the valve handy because I didn't build the heads. That will be one of the things for me to do during the cam swap. Then I'm gonna make some use of a class I took in college, Mechanical Vibrations and do a modal analysis on the spring mass system. Just for kicks and giggles

I've been leaning toward the Comp 921 since I've been researching valvesprings. One thing that comes up is that the 921's don't have any kind of surface coating/treatment or any kind that is supposed to keep the wire cooler. Maybe I've been looking in the wrong direction by being set on these 921's or the Patriot Golds. Anybody know of a spring that has this technology?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Default springs

i just had my patriatsprings removed to put my new cam in they were in about a year and lg motorsports found a broken spring my cam i had was 595-610 232-240 lift and the cam i put was a lot bigger so without thought i put the comp 921 springs i guess the old saying is true you get what you pay for. i learned my lesson as expensive as these ls1 motors are and the parts its better to go with the best when talking about valve train its almost the vertebrae of the motor
Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bobby1
i just had my patriatsprings removed to put my new cam in they were in about a year and lg motorsports found a broken spring my cam i had was 595-610 232-240 lift and the cam i put was a lot bigger so without thought i put the comp 921 springs i guess the old saying is true you get what you pay for. i learned my lesson as expensive as these ls1 motors are and the parts its better to go with the best when talking about valve train its almost the vertebrae of the motor
Really? This may be the first time ive heard of a patriot gold spring breaking. I assume they were installed correctly and at the correct height? How many miles on them? Did you drive the car hard before it was fully warmed up?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

no i didn't it saw maybe 2 track passes and i never run the car much over 6300 rpm and i assume they were install by a local shop but all the other springs were ok and besides lg told me that those springs are no good and i didn't believe them unitl they showed me on my car the broken spring
Old 06-13-2006, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

If you have had an issue with any of our products, please contact us.

Thanks to everyone who has supported our products in this thread. Our spring is the best on the market. It is made of the best material available. The success of this spring has prompted many of our competitors to use this same spring. We take this as testimony as to the quality of this product. In many cases, parts that cost more are not always better. Many companies have layers on layers of corporate levels that must be paid. A lot of these companies are well established and have branded their name very well over the years. For these reasons, it is possible that in some cases customers are not paying for the best product, but great branding.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

If LG is badmouthing the patriot gold spring, its simply because they sell a different brand. The patriot spring is actually the same spring used in the PRC and the TEA dual spring kits. Its a great spring with a proven track record. Theres just far too many sucess stories for any knowledgable person to call these springs junk. Dont for a minute think there arent broken spring stories about comp 921 and crane dual springs as well. Ive seen these myself.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

As with anything, you will see defects...its unavoidable, but because 1 spring breaks out of thousands, they're deemed junk? no way! I am personally running PRC duals, but as mentinoed, they are made by the same company that made the PP golds. Both are great springs as long as they are broken in properly and heat cycled. If all the other springs were good, I have no doubts that Gunnar would've replaced your one broken spring instead of paying 500+ for the 921's. Not to say they arent great springs either, but the price is damn near double for all the other on the market that are supporting various high lift cams...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

not trying to bad mouth but if it was your car with a broken spring what would you do put the same one in there. all i wanted to do was let other people know before they buy something thats how i decided to go with my exedy clutch becasue of what i heard about spec clutches not that there bad but i've good things about the exedy and i'm happy with my clutch but to gunnar i do appolgize about that i told ls1 speed about it and they were shocked but i real didn't think there is anything you could do and since it didn't damage the motor i feel very lucky. and becuase i made two track passes it disregards your warranty i assume but no disrespect just stating the facts and i can't speak for lg thats just what they told me that and even warned me if a spring breaks its all on me at first but once i saw that spring broken it changed my mind! not trying to start anything just stating what happened to me and my personal experience.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

yes, i would change the spring. this isnt a hypothetical either. There was a time when i though i could've possibly damaged one or two, so I did the best inspection I could with out pulling them. I brought it up to the person I bought them from and I got replacements just in case. I trust the spring as do many others, but if spending more on the springs gives you ease of mind, then its worth it.