General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Parked Car Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Parked Car Issues

I'm looking at an LS1 M6 that has basically been parked since early 03. It appears to be have been parked in the garage. It hasn't been inspected or registered since 02. Owner says he drove it around the block to keep the fluids circulating, tires are not rotted. Currently, it doesn't start, so I can't drive it to verify condition. Other than the engine and coolant hoses, what issues might arise from the car sitting so long?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverSierra
I'm looking at an LS1 M6 that has basically been parked since early 03. It appears to be have been parked in the garage. It hasn't been inspected or registered since 02. Owner says he drove it around the block to keep the fluids circulating, tires are not rotted. Currently, it doesn't start, so I can't drive it to verify condition. Other than the engine and coolant hoses, what issues might arise from the car sitting so long?
The fuel could be bad without a stabilizer added. The tires could be flat spotted from sitting. If he left the battery connected it's probably dead.

Why doesn't it start?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

No idea on the gas. Tires are decent, I am guessing he drove it around the block frequently. The front tires look OK, back tires are great.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was started and driven some on a regular basis then i wouldn't worry too much.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BlueSix
If it was started and driven some on a regular basis then i wouldn't worry too much.
I agree....I wouldn't worry about the hoses really..when u get it started/buy it..change the fluids and you should be fine....rubber/hoses these days last a looong time. tires are flat-spotted probably/maybe..depending if he kept airing them up or not. It WILL need a new battery of course.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

get an optima and see if the car starts.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

He has already replaced the battery. I haven't seen the car run in person yet...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

id get a compression test done to it just to make sure that it hasnt been sitting too long. what can happen is if it sits too long the fluids can errode and possibly cause damage to your engine. all this can be checked by a mechanic... one is called a leak down test, and the other compression test. these are vital trust me