Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Info on Wastegate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Info on Wastegate Springs

Ill read around on here, and people talk about changing the springs in the wastegate usually in reference to a particular boost level. Im just wondering if someone can fill me in on this. I dont really know anything about it. Do you need a certain spring for w/e set boost youre at? If you have an electronic boost controller, and you have 2 different settings lets say @ 5# and one @ 9#, will you just have a spring @ the highest boost level you plan to go or what? Any info on this would be helpful.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im pretty sure the wastegate spring should be compared to ur vacuum pressure, i might be wrong though
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the wastegate spring is a mechanical control of boost at a pre set level. when you attach a controller, you hook up vaccum to the wastegate which will help determine the boost -5 or 9 depending on the controller and wastegate. once you change your sping to a higher value that value becomes your lowest presetting.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smoke20
the wastegate spring is a mechanical control of boost at a pre set level. when you attach a controller, you hook up vaccum to the wastegate which will help determine the boost -5 or 9 depending on the controller and wastegate. once you change your sping to a higher value that value becomes your lowest presetting.
So if I have an elec boost controler, and I have it set @ 5# & 9#, im going to have a 5#spring in the wastegate? Once I get my setup, and I want to start going higher boost, will I then need a new wastegate, or will I just change springs in the wastegate?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

ttt...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

you should be able use a boost controler to make it hold what u want. you can use your WG and just change springs too.
aslong as the WG can flow enough exhaust not to boost creep... etc
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple terms....boost controllers can only raise your boost. the spring in your gate, is the least amount of boost u can make. you do not need to change springs to raise boost, if u have a boost controller.

i myself prefer to change springs to change my boost level, as opposed to a controller...but thats just personal preference.

as stated...this is all pending your gate is big enough to prevent boost creep on low boost settings.

Quick Reply: Info on Wastegate Springs