Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7mm valves on solid roller setup???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7mm valves on solid roller setup???

here's my story. I bought a set of 'super best of the best' used stage 3 GTP solid roller heads from a board member. I send them off with the rest of my goodies to a very reputable builder to have everything put together. Today I get a call that these heads are junk. Instead of 8mm valves these have 7mm and the springs are also walking all over the heads. They also said the welding that was done on them was shakey at best. Now I'm at a loss on what to do. These heads supposedly ran low 9's on the previous owners car. I guess I'm just looking for input on what to do and if anyone has heard of a setup like this before.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
here's my story. I bought a set of 'super best of the best' used stage 3 GTP solid roller heads from a board member. I send them off with the rest of my goodies to a very reputable builder to have everything put together. Today I get a call that these heads are junk. Instead of 8mm valves these have 7mm and the springs are also walking all over the heads. They also said the welding that was done on them was shakey at best. Now I'm at a loss on what to do. These heads supposedly ran low 9's on the previous owners car. I guess I'm just looking for input on what to do and if anyone has heard of a setup like this before.
Post some pics. Hard to say they would be trash. If you already have money invested and feel like they are good heads, get 8mm guides put in them. What welding was done and why? What springs and why would they be "walking".

Brandon
Old 06-10-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't have any pics. They are at a shop on the other side of the country. I have no idea what welding or why it was done. I do know all the work was hand done by craig at GTP. The shop told me there were no locators(i think) and the springs basically were just sitting on the head.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Thats a good way to dig a rut in the top of an aluminum head. Its hard to give you any real answers without more detailed information.

Brandon
Old 06-10-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The combustion chambers had some welding and the spring pockets had some welding done as well. I just went back and sifted through some old emails and pm's and found that info. I know the heads had some work done and were set up specifically for t&d rockers as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, who is taking the heads apart and has this opinion of them? I'm pretty doubtfull that they know more about heads than Craig.

DO NOT GET 8mm guides put in them so you can run heavier junk valves. DO NOT GET A NEW VALVE JOB PUT IN THE HEADS EITHER!!!!

Are the 7mm valves in the heads bent?

The areas that are welded are not a problem either.

What do they mean by the spring are walking? The springs might have the wrong spring locator for the application but a lot of things are not answered here. If someone didn't put locators on the heads, someone else got a hold of them and did this most likely.

If you need help with this let me know I can point you toward some people who know what they are doing in the PA area.

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 06-10-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

None of the valves are bent but one does need replaced. It was chipped when the lash cap was removed. I knew this ahead of time. The company doing the work is a sponsor of this site and has a good reputation with a handful of 8 sec cars. They acted like a 7mm valve was too weak. I may be wrong but I'm thinking the valves are titanium but I'm still waiting to hear back on that. I'm at a real loss as to what to do here. I may just have them finish up the shortblock and throw the rest together myself.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
None of the valves are bent but one does need replaced. It was chipped when the lash cap was removed. I knew this ahead of time. The company doing the work is a sponsor of this site and has a good reputation with a handful of 8 sec cars. They acted like a 7mm valve was too weak. I may be wrong but I'm thinking the valves are titanium but I'm still waiting to hear back on that. I'm at a real loss as to what to do here. I may just have them finish up the shortblock and throw the rest together myself.
For a severe duty application the 7mm valves are going to be weaker than the 8mm obviously. It all depends on what material valve you are running. If they are titanium valves you are looking at a very serious expense, somewhere north of $1K to replace. If you just want to run a traditional stainless valve you will be sacrificing something in the high rpm range, and that alone. The head of the valve is what has to withstand the brunt of the punishment when it comes to dynamic cylinder pressure. Be it forced induction or nitrous. If you are running an NA engine that doesnt run radical compression or radical horsepower, I wouldnt worry about the valve head being stainless. Otherwise look at using a good solid ferrea intake valve and an inconel exhaust valve.

Brandon
Old 06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

7mm is not too weak for SB2.2 heads in a cup motor.

Bret
Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
7mm is not too weak for SB2.2 heads in a cup motor.

Bret
Bret, obviously they are not running a tradional steel or stainless valve. Its probably titanium, or some alloy of the like. Apples to oranges.

Brandon
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I just confirmed that these valves are titanium. I'm planning on running these heads if my shortblock ever gets done. Even though the shop says they're junk everyone else I've talked to seems to think they're very good heads. I tend to agree with them givin the times the previous owner ran with them.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Have you talked to Craig? I have known him for years and that does not sound like something that would come out of his shop. BTW the 7mm titanium valves are the hot setup on a real race motor. Maybe the shop working on the heads isn't familiar with hardcore race stuff
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Does anyone have contact info for Craig or where he works now? I've heard that GTP is no longer in business.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

I have his cell but it's easier just to google him....

http://gtp-racing.com/

Bret
Old 06-14-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Well how neat is that. I goto that page and the headline is vette dr's run 9.39 blah blah. I'm pretty certain that was with the set of heads I have in question. I will be in touch with them just to ease my mind.

Quick Reply: 7mm valves on solid roller setup???