Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frankenstein motor

Old 06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenstein motor

I know that a majority of the gen III engines have a lot of inter-changing parts and I need some help. I am contemplating building a LSx motor for my 1950 ford. I have a 6.0l iron block that I got for free from a friend. I also have a 5.3l that another friend is giving me. The 6.0 is just the block, crank and truck oil pan. The 5.3 is complete, but he through a rod and broke the block (hydro locked the motor).

With the 6.0 can build basically an iron LS2 with stock parts for a good street rod motor? Since this is a street rod the simpler the better I want carb set up no computer anything. My questions are this:

Since I don have rods and pistons, will stock LS2 pieces work?
I thought about a stock LS6 cam or a used aftermarket cam
Can I use the 5.3 roller lifters?
Can I use the 5.3 heads I have? Or do I need some stock LS1,6 or 2 heads?
Will a TH350 or TH400 bolt up

I know this would be a Frankenstein motor, but hey it is a hot rod!

One last really dumb question, what size bolts do I need to have so I can bolt the bare block on my engine stand? (I don’t want to use a SAE bolt when it is metric)
Old 06-11-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron's Coupe
IWith the 6.0 can build basically an iron LS2 with stock parts for a good street rod motor? Since this is a street rod the simpler the better I want carb set up no computer anything. My questions are this:

Since I don have rods and pistons, will stock LS2 pieces work?
I thought about a stock LS6 cam or a used aftermarket cam
Can I use the 5.3 roller lifters?
Can I use the 5.3 heads I have? Or do I need some stock LS1,6 or 2 heads?
Will a TH350 or TH400 bolt up

I know this would be a Frankenstein motor, but hey it is a hot rod!

One last really dumb question, what size bolts do I need to have so I can bolt the bare block on my engine stand? (I don’t want to use a SAE bolt when it is metric)
You are correct, the iron LQ4-9 truck block uses the same rod and piston components. I would look at having the iron motor line bored and a set of oversized pistons installed. You can go as far as .060 over on an iron block if it is sonic checked first. Stock rods would work although an aftermarket rod bolt would be a plus. Either cam choice is fine, If you want less lope and more driveability go the LS6, if you want something a little meaner, go aftermarket. The lifters are the same. 5.3 heads will bolt right up, although you will see an increase in compression due to the small chamber in the 5.3 head. A T350 or T400 can and will bolt up. You will need a specific flexplate for it. Look in the stickies in the automatic tranny forum for part #'s. I't's all there. The bellhousing bolts are M10x1.5. The length is dependant on your engine stand.
Cheers,
Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frankenstein motor