Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Jet Hot Coating on Turbo Hot Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jet Hot Coating on Turbo Hot Parts

There was a few questions on my sanity for jet-hot coating my turbo hot parts. "It will turn color" "it will fade" "it will peel off". Well after more than 20 tuning dyno pulls. A few "local" drives by the builder. More than couple trips down the 1/4 miles. They are still perfect. Nothing. Nadda.

Thought I would share this picture this you guys taken today. This is the final build picture (minus the future boost controller).

Off to the track tomorrow for some more TNT/shake-down passes.

David
Old 06-11-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

FYI almost any decent coating shop can do this same coating cheaper and without having to ship it to/from Jet Hot. It is a ceramic based coating that comes in this "near chrome", matte grey and matte black. The grey and black are not as pretty but hold up to higher temps. I found a shop within 5 miles that will do headers for $150 a set, with a 7-day turn.

I don't know if Jet-Hot used to hold a patent on it or what, but it's been available through other sources now for over 6 years.

I also had my supercharger intake tubing done with the matte grey finish, and I'm real happy with it. Doesn't scratch easily.

Your setup looks great!

Jim
Old 06-11-2006, 08:08 AM
kp
8 Second Club

when the EGTs get hotter it will start turning the pipes a sandy grey color. From what I understand they mix aluminum in with the coating and it will melt at a certain temp. My jet hot coated headers have melted the coating on the bends out of the ports and also where the collectors merge, took a while but it did it. But my EGTs are pretty hot, I have to tune pretty agressive to make power with a mild combo..
Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see it is holding up - i was looking at jothot 2000deg but don't have the cash or time to do it right now - maybe next month
Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I DID NOT send the hot parts to Jet-hot, just that is what is called. A semi-local shop them - at lot cheaper than $150 a set.

Enough. My statement was that they are holding up great, after being told that they would turn to **** after only a couple of runs. Which is not the case.

David

Originally Posted by DeltaT
FYI almost any decent coating shop can do this same coating cheaper and without having to ship it to/from Jet Hot. It is a ceramic based coating that comes in this "near chrome", matte grey and matte black. The grey and black are not as pretty but hold up to higher temps. I found a shop within 5 miles that will do headers for $150 a set, with a 7-day turn.

I don't know if Jet-Hot used to hold a patent on it or what, but it's been available through other sources now for over 6 years.

I also had my supercharger intake tubing done with the matte grey finish, and I'm real happy with it. Doesn't scratch easily.

Your setup looks great!

Jim
Old 06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it's working for you! They look awesome. I am interested to see how they last into the future.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off topic, but are you using truck manifolds with this setup?

Quick Reply: Jet Hot Coating on Turbo Hot Parts