Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

everyone with cams no TC, ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everyone with cams no TC, ?

I wanted to take a little pole from the people that have gotten a new cam, pushrods, springs without getting a new torque converter (including bolt-ons of course). Preferably automatics too. I wondered if you were happy with the power from just the cam or also wished that you would have gotten a higher stall/ converter with it. Open to any comments or thoughts.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

where's the poll? ) chuckles I wanted to see the I drive a stick choice.. hehe
Old 06-10-2006, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converter before cam.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

yea converter makes the biggest difference, trust us!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

im probly going to run a hotcam with no stall converter. most people would look way down upon this because one its a cammed car with no tc, and two b/c its a hotcam. but im not a track rat but like to have the cammed feeling while making decent power while keeping high relability and low cost
Old 06-10-2006, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hennytime
im probly going to run a hotcam with no stall converter. most people would look way down upon this because one its a cammed car with no tc, and two b/c its a hotcam. but im not a track rat but like to have the cammed feeling while making decent power while keeping high relability and low cost
Why do you want to make power?

You will get far more performance gain from a converter, even a small one, than a Hotcam.

There is a reason not many people do this. Actually, there are several reasons.

Let us know how it goes after it's been in for a few weeks.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

i installed my cam a few days before i did the TQ,and even with a small TR220 it was a dog out of the hole.had idle issues,etc.you really need to do both.you won't like how it drives,trust me.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know its a late post but with my hotcam and no verter for about 4 months, my only complaint was coming to a dead stop the car would jerk and surge. Not an unbelievable amount, but an amount to where when sitting in traffic or hitting alot of red lights, it would start to **** me off.

As for being a pig off the line, it was anything but because of the surging. Its more a pig off the line at low rpms with the verter. But once you wind it up, nothing (cam, heads, exhaust) compares to the performance.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry

As for being a pig off the line, it was anything but because of the surging. Its more a pig off the line at low rpms with the verter. But once you wind it up, nothing (cam, heads, exhaust) compares to the performance.
Did you get it tuned??
Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For people reading this in the future:
I had my ASA cam in my car on the stock torque converter for a little over a year. The reason I did this is because my original plans were to swap my 4l60e for a t56 setup, so I didn't want to throw money at the auto that I planned on yanking anyhow. I tuned it myself, driveablility was perfect and I had it idling at 700rpm. It pulled on the brakes a little in gear at a stoplight but not bad and it never would try to die. The car wasn't "a dog" down low (no worse than stock) but it really took off above 3k rpm. The dead spots that a4 cars suffer from between shift points were even worse after the cam since it's power is made at higher rpms.
Fast forward one year and I see my financial situation isn't going to allow a pricey t56 swap for several years (wife getting masters degree) so I threw a Fuddle 3600 in it. It was INCREDIBLE how the car changed with a stall and how much faster it was. Coming from someone that's done it....do the converter first. While the cam made my car faster than stock and it sounded badass, there's no comparison in the performance gain the converter will give you over the cam by itself. Needless to say, I no longer wish I had a t56 in my car.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Did you get it tuned??
All mods were tuned prior to the TC install. No tuning was performed post-TC install. Tuning will be performed once I get my next set of mods installed.