I HATE my car!! Tranny's fixed... now have no battery power!!! ??? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HATE my car!! Tranny's fixed... now have no battery power!!! ??? HELP!!

I replaced the battery and alternator on april 22nd.... well the car has been in the shop for a while since then.... almost 1.35 months. Well... the red top seemed to be fried.... I put in a yellow top battery... on the way back home from the Indy car races last night the car went completely dead... I mean Zero battery..... no lights or gauges.... atleast I have a deep cycle battery now...

Do you think the new alternator is toast... or do I have other major electical failure???

What could be the causes of the battery not getting a charge?? The old altenator tested out fine... I went ahead and replaced it.... now it is still not getting a charge..... ???

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Knowing you, you probably hooked it up backwards.. LOL If the alt. is charging as they say, and the battery is good and just get drained, then you have something pulling power.. Do you have a bottle heater that your leaving on?? anything else that would pull power off the car?? A short somewhere would do that too..
Old 06-11-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

was the guage showing a charge when it was running? Check your alt.fuse.If its not the fuse and it is charging then you have a draw on the system somewhere.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

I know of someone that went through two of those optimas in a short time. First time it just died on him. Second battery exploded one morning when he started up his truck. Get the battery checked to see if it holds a charge. If its messed up, get your money back and buy an Interstate or something.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dan03mach
Knowing you, you probably hooked it up backwards.. LOL If the alt. is charging as they say, and the battery is good and just get drained, then you have something pulling power.. Do you have a bottle heater that your leaving on?? anything else that would pull power off the car?? A short somewhere would do that too..
nitrous line? something in the tune?? I dont have fancy speakers & amps or anything.... here is a detailed run down.

a couple months back car was overheating at the track... cause was bubble in the coolant line. had a little trouble with a 3rd gear notch issue with the tranny... then a little after this the exhaust broke at the car wash, got that fixed... then I had dead alternator a week or so later. I then went ahead and replaced the alt. and put an optima red top in.... well shortly afterward the tranny took a poop, it was already going bad at the time after the exhaust work. Well the car was in the shop for a month and a half... I left the shop after getting the tranny put back in and a few miles down the road the AC stopped working... power went completely dead..... I had the battery tested... it was a dead cell based on a handheld voltage reader ( ). still under warranty i put a yellow top in.... drove from Ruth Snow to the track.... then when I left the track the battery lost all power again.... I popped the clutch a few times to get to a safe place.. paid 120 bucks to tow the car back to the shop!! got home really late...

Billy from TRT Performance (Texas Rear Turbos) woke up and helped get my car in his shop at midnight..... he didnt want me to put it out front overnight. GREAT GUY!!

Last edited by WizeAss; 06-11-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJRTX
I know of someone that went through two of those optimas in a short time. First time it just died on him. Second battery exploded one morning when he started up his truck. Get the battery checked to see if it holds a charge. If its messed up, get your money back and buy an Interstate or something.

First new redtop died from the heat of the shop... it is a dry cell non cycle battery.... second is a yellow top... brand new... the battery was not getting a charge... altenator is brand new.. belt was on.... ac works... not the compressor.. nitrous line is grounded good.... must be an electrical issue or wiring problem??
Old 06-11-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dan03mach
what connections are between the alt and battery?? how many? how many total lines... doesnt the alt have an internal regulator? what short can pull this kind of power that fast?? battery must not be connected to the altenator.... what kind of fuses are possible causes??

thanks fellas!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:37 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Hell I don't know, take it to sears and have them check it out..
Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Hey I had this problem once, my alternator went out I replaced it with a new one 2 week's later it went again. Well come to find out they sold me the wrong alternator could'nt tell a diffrence in the 2 except for the part #...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

what if that shop u took it to swaped it?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by no_more_z28
Hey I had this problem once, my alternator went out I replaced it with a new one 2 week's later it went again. Well come to find out they sold me the wrong alternator could'nt tell a diffrence in the 2 except for the part #...

I did not take it to some shop.... it is in good hands....

the altenator is exactly like the one we removed...1.5 months ago. It should still be good.

it is something electrical... any ideas?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Throw another battery in it and see if you have at least 14 votls coming off the alt.
Also check the plug on the alt. Mine broke off. It's a little wire that if tugged on, can snap off.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
Throw another battery in it and see if you have at least 14 votls coming off the alt.
Also check the plug on the alt. Mine broke off. It's a little wire that if tugged on, can snap off.
when i put the new yellow top in it still never got to 13.... it was at best 10-12... then by the time i got to the track it was 10....... it then started going to nil in a matter of 10 minutes of driving once i left Texas Motor Speedway. I dont think it is a battery issue.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
when i put the new yellow top in it still never got to 13.... it was at best 10-12... then by the time i got to the track it was 10....... it then started going to nil in a matter of 10 minutes of driving once i left Texas Motor Speedway. I dont think it is a battery issue.

if it never got to 13 then its not charging at all
Old 06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5w20
what all can cause an alternator not to charge???

1. Blown Fuse?
2. Disconnected wires
3. Bad Alternator.... ( i seriously doubt it)
4. Cable is corroded??
5. ???????
6. ?????
etc etc etc??

what else?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

My car had died on me once when driving. Turns out an alternator wire came off. Check the wires on the back of the alternator.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Check your ground on the block, it's next to the starter.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAGER
Check your ground on the block, it's next to the starter.

Peace,
Craig.
thanks

Originally Posted by Mike2kZ
My car had died on me once when driving. Turns out an alternator wire came off. Check the wires on the back of the alternator.
thanks again!
Originally Posted by 5w20

hey guys... can it be anything more complicated (i.e. as in expensive) to fix then just a wire or ground?? what else do I need to check?? any fuses or can the wires be corroded.... what else can cause this sort of electrical issue?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

turn on the car remove the battery cables and see if the car stays on if it doesnt then your alt. is not working.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

If it's not getting 13 volts running then it sounds like the alt. died again. If your only getting 12 volts or less then it's only running off of the battery.( sounds like the alt. again)