Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor Mount Issue

Got a 2002 TA Hawk, dropped the engine, tranny, and k member, doing some work.

I pulled the motor mounts off and installed poly motor mounts into the clamshells. Upon installation it seems like the motor is too "fat" and the mounts aren't lining up....

The clamshells can only mount 1 way to the block and the poly mount has to be a certain way, so that gets rid of all the guess work.

If anyone know or has done something to make the mounts line up with the k member let me know asap please!!

Dave

P.S. - I don't know if this is the right section, but I haven't slept in a few days and might be rambling as well....
Old 06-13-2006, 12:19 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've come to the right spot, but I'm not sure why it isn't fitting. How far away are the holes? Can you "convince" them to fit?

The mounts have been known to make the motors sit a *bit* higher, so that might be part of the problem. The k-member might also have flexed as well.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

How are you setting the motor onto the k-member??
It took us a little while to line everything up right. Ended up having to almost pound the bolts through.
If I remember right, the mounts can be installed backwards. I had both mine off at the same time and had to ask if the tab on the mounts went up or down when installing the clamshells back on the block. They would mount to the block either way.
And right now, I cannot remember which way they went.

My motor does sit a little higher than it did now with the new mounts.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

i just had this problem yesterday with my 408. look at the instructions you can mount them in upside down. I had one upsidedown and the motor was all crooked.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Launching!

The big metal tab on the clam shells should be facing to the right correct?
As in the driver side tab should be to the rear and the passenger side to the front?

I tried to flip one of the clamshells around and install it to the block without the poly mount installed and it won't fit when upside down.

Basically I need the engine to shrink or the K-member grow about half an inch more, will forcing the motor mount in cause accelerated wear and stress on them?

If anyone else has any thoughts please share, I'm leaving the issue alone for a few hours and going to try again with a fresh brain....

Oh and to answer the question posted, the car is in the air on a lift, the K-member is on the ground with wheels attached and a jack supporting the center of the K-member. Then using a cherry picker for the motor.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they are saying is the mount might be installed into the clamshell wrong. Read the directions carefully.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Gotcha, I'll check that out as soon as I can..

Thanks Guys
Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

the tabs go up always. now you can install the clam upside down. if you look at the clam that moves the mount point about an inch one way or the other. after I fixed mine the bolt slide right in.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

I tried to flip the clam on one side to alleviate the motor seeming too fat to fit, however, in doing so, the clamshell wouldn't mount flush with the block when upside down.

I ended up getting a buddy with super dooper retard strength to pry on it a bit, we got the bolt in.

Problem solved, hopefully there isn't too much static pressure on the mounts though....
Old 05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arcolog2
The big metal tab on the clam shells should be facing to the right correct?
As in the driver side tab should be to the rear and the passenger side to the front?
Bringing this back from the dead (having some 3rd gen LS1 fitment issues) and since it's been awhile since I've dealt with the motor mounts, do the clamshell tabs face right from the factory, like Arcolog2 said above, or ?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Answered my own question. They only fit one way (tab to the right).

Quick Reply: Motor Mount Issue