Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Toys Ram Air system worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast Toys Ram Air system worth getting?

Im getting a intake setup soon for my WS6 so i was wondering if getting the FTRA system is worth anything in addition to a K&N filter, lid, smooth bellows-guess im just not sure how all of this and my factory WS6 ram air work out.....would appreciate your knowledge/experiences w/ it
Thanks wldesyWS6
Old 06-13-2006, 04:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say you are gonna get around an extra 5-8rwhp. Depending on total mods and everything.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the SLP CAI over the Fast Toys. I would guess the Fast Toys gets more cold air due to it's extra length and probably a makes a bit more HP over the SLP CAI but I always worried about pulling water in with the FT. I couldn't really tell if the CAI made a difference as I did a lid at the same time. I could certainly hear the engine sucking more air when I did the CAI and lid.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

I debated the same thing and ended up going with the slp cai, I heard many bad things about the fast toys and cars running hot. I guess it was due to radiator flow being slowed down. I like the set up I have a lot, but if I were running a track car or a highway cruser I'd get the fast toys instead.
The difference in your factory ram air and this one is very simple. The factory ram air comes in through the hood them through baffles and actually doesnt flow very much. The fast toys/FRA/slp cai all suck in air from underneath the car, in front of the radiator. If you lift up your lid and take out the air filter you will see a flat piece of plastic, you will end up cutting that, and that is where your new ram air will come into play. The original ram air pulls from infront of the lid. They will complement one another.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

I noticed my car runs a bit warmer but it's still worth the $$ IMO
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my car runs a little warmer too but its nothing that'll cause any damage to the engine--the only time i noticed it running a little warmer was when i was in stop an go traffic, then when i hit the highway it went back to normal. I love mine, install isn't too bad if you've got a dremel. Since you've got a WS6 i'd suggest getting the Brian Green Ram Air which makes your already built in Ram-air system functional by sealing your baffles to the airbox. I can't remember who sells it but if you do a search you should be able to find something.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Default Car Runs Warmer In freeway stop-n-go traffic

Thats the only time i've noticed a heat up in my car. But once you get going in my car actually ran a little cooler (at speed) then without the FTRA. If you go to their website, they'll tell you that you're gonna heat up a lil more in stop and go, thats expected. I do mostly freeway driving, so i have had no problems with it personally.

"I always worried about pulling water in with the FT."
^^ good concern, to which FTRA puts a block-off plate for the REALLY rainy days. But we just had a record amount of downpour this season in the SF Bay Area, and i never used it. If you're driving into a huge puddle of water fast enough to get water sucked vertically all the way THROUGH your filter and then horizontally past your MAF and TB into your intake... well, i'd be worried more about driving into a huge puddle at stupid speeds than water in my intake at that point. Just my $o.02
Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your that much of a dumbass to drive thru 3ft of water in the first place, then your car deserves to be hydrolocked. If your worried about water put in the blockoff plate, but i'll tell you this, I'm at the rainiest place in the country "not at the moment but thats where im stationed" an i haven't had any problems with water getting in my intake, so i really would not worry about it, just watch where you drive.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been runing a FTRA for 100,000 miles no problem with the car running hot or any water consumption.. ...If you drive into deep water your the problem not the ram air system...it is good for about a tenth in the quarter mile.. ..a worth while mod I'd say..
Old 06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

k thanks guys - so K&N,lid, smooth bellows, FTRA should be all i need? unless i wanted to go w/ Brian Green Ram AIr instead of FTRA
Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wldesyWS6
k thanks guys - so K&N,lid, smooth bellows, FTRA should be all i need? unless i wanted to go w/ Brian Green Ram AIr instead of FTRA
I personally would skip the K&N. No advantage in HP and the oil can coat the MAF and give you issues if you use too much of it. Smooth bellows is just an appearance mod and won't give you an added HP IMO. I have one but it was before I discovered this site. I like the way it looks but I don't think it's worth the money to be honest. I'd stick with a lid, paper filter and the FTRA myself. I had the Holley reuasbale filter and it now sits on the shelf in my garage.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah..what he said...if you must have a smooth bellows I know a place that will make you one in red, blue or black for less than $20 bucks..they are not a sponsor so PM and I'll pass the info along to you..I had them make one for my 90\90 set up.. none of the stock stuff would work with it..
Old 06-13-2006, 08:43 PM
LS1Tech Editor

I'm running the Austin Ram Air that I got through LMPerformance. Picks up air from up front. I'm more than happy with the seat of the pants gains and haven't noticed any increase in temps like some FTRA owners have (though the 01+ FBodies don't have the most accurate temp gauges). You can really feel the increase in pull on the freeway.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you can run a regular sized aftermarket lid with the FTRA?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i think its worth it yes. but i think the ssra is even better so thats what i went with
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

I have the SLP CAI and had no problems with it.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

I'm converting from a volant cone style filter to a factory box with clear lid. I also bought a FTRA used off this board. I plan on using it in conjunction with the stock ss hood. Just wanting to experiment a little.

Were can I get dirrections for install of the FTRA? Mine did'nt come with any.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think installuniversity has a write up but im not sure, if its not there then i'd just go to their website an print it off from there. Yes you can run any aftermarke lid with the FTRA, actually if you do buy this system its almost a must to have anyway
Old 06-14-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the SLP CAI and I have no problems with it. Im going to get the Austin SSRA though, I like that set up better
Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Did anyone hear anything on if/when Vararam is ever releasing their f body system?? It seems they've been "tweaking" it for the last 3 years!!!!!!!!!!