LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Accel super ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accel super ram intake

Ok im going to get my camaro sometime this month (i hope). My dad says i should get a tuned port injection setup of of an old 80's camaro. I've been reading up on it and my conclusion is that those stock setups really suck in the upper rpm range and rob horse power. Then i stumbled across the accel super ram tpi setup and they are supposed to really out perform the stock tpi setups.

So my question is this: Does anyone konw anything about those accel super ram setups and is it worth putting one of those on an LT1 or would that just be a waste of my time/money. Any help at all would be great
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Launching!

link to super ram on summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris18927
So my question is this: Does anyone konw anything about those accel super ram setups and is it worth putting one of those on an LT1 or would that just be a waste of my time/money. Any help at all would be great
Waste of money on an LT1, from what I understand they were not all that on the TPIs either.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

actually the holley stealthram I've been told will make better power than stock, just modifying one to fit an LTX aint cheap...

^^ My friends Conversion

...i had to drill all the bolt holes, the outermost courners matched but were at the wrong angle anyhow...i put the gasket up to the intake, aligned the outermost holes and marked the ones i needed to drill...then i had to have wedge washer made, because the flange is not at the same angle as the bolt needs to be...i also bought a mallory pump drive to plug the distributor hole in the back, and took out the factory drive thats bolted to the block under the intake, thats just in case i decide to run a regular distributor later...thermostat and heater hose holes are all blocked off with stainless plugs...aeroqip makes fittings to plug into factory fuel lines, one is 3/8 and listed for lt1, the return one is 5/16 and in their catalog its listed for some ford application but looks right in the picture, and it fits perfect and works...throttle body bolts up, i had to get a tuneport throttle cable bracket, and used a lo-kar throttle cable...pcv valve i plugged into the valve cover, and pluged a vac hose into the factory map...this is as far as i got right now, theres still some details to attend to..
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Launching!

^ sounds tricky
Old 06-13-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow your dad is clueless
Old 06-13-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what it is used for, I MAY have to get technical, lol

Heres a nice link
http://compcams.com/Community/Articl...p?ID=-61543841
Old 06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the lt1 intake flows enough as a matter fact edelbrock tried to make am aftermarket lt1 intake and couldnt get it to flow any better
Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
the lt1 intake flows enough as a matter fact edelbrock tried to make am aftermarket lt1 intake and couldnt get it to flow any better
The LT1 intake manifold flows enough but it is far from the best design for our engines. It is true that edelbrock made a prototype LT1 manifold but never sold any. Reason as stated above was that they could not get it to flow any better than stock -NOT that it couldn't be done. Just look at Edelbrock's heads which are barely better than stock. A whole lot of "R&D" at Edelbrock to come out with the same design as the stocker??? They could have at least increased the plenum volume. Now they are promising a new design yet again. Deja Vu?

Take a look at dyno sheets on L98 350's that compare miniram/stealth ram/stock LT1 manifolds. The stock LT1 manifold not only makes the least horsepower out of the bunch but it also makes less torque. At one time I was interested in fitting a stealth ram to a 4th gen LT1. Only problem is it won't clear the cowl otherwise it would be a great bolt on and not that expensive other than making it fit. If a large group of us F-body owner's could convince Holley to make a stealt ram for the LT1 I would buy that any day over that air gap from Edelbrock assuming they ever even come out with it. A plastic one would be even better for less weight and heat soak. HELLO Edelbrock??? Why make it out of aluminum? Why not improve it instead of making something slightly better than stock???

end rant.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Start looking into it and A LOT of TPI guys swap to LT1 intakes because the LT1 intake is fairly good. The "miniram" is VERY similar to the LT1 intake.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

yea my dad is more of an Oldsmobile guy so he doesnt know to much about chevys but i must say i really like the look of the stock tpi setup, it looks intemidating
Old 06-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Start looking into it and A LOT of TPI guys swap to LT1 intakes because the LT1 intake is fairly good. The "miniram" is VERY similar to the LT1 intake.
That is because the stock tpi intake flows like sh*t to begin with and the lt1 is a good fit with a little modification. It is due to a lack of selection to begin with. The miniram will actiually outflow the stock lt1 as well but they are pretty expensive.

Going with a stock lt1 intake is cheap so A LOT of tpi guys do it but the stealthram beats the stock and miniram at every rpm level in hp and torque. Stealthram is Much better than stock hands down I have seen the proof time and time again on lt1s. The BRE Proram is a takeoff on the stealthram not the lt1...I wonder why
Old 06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris18927
Ok im going to get my camaro sometime this month (i hope). My dad says i should get a tuned port injection setup of of an old 80's camaro. I've been reading up on it and my conclusion is that those stock setups really suck in the upper rpm range and rob horse power. Then i stumbled across the accel super ram tpi setup and they are supposed to really out perform the stock tpi setups.

On a 4th gen they are expensive because you have to pretty much buy them brand new to fit under the cowl. The l98 version won't fit so getting a used one is next to nil. Great lowend torque gain and midrange with them on lt1's from what I have seen. It will lower your powerband and horsepower over the lt1 intake but not as much as everyone would have you believe. With a bigger cam the stealthram will actually make more power than the lt1 intake according to a magazine article someone scanned for me. They are supposedly great on auto's but not worth it on m6's. Also 100% not worth the cost to purchase (~1500 when all is said and done). Look into getting an LE3 before a super ram- much better bang for the buck there.

If you have an L98 get a stealth ram. That is by far the best bang for the buck on those cars as well as ported heads.

Quick Reply: Accel super ram intake