Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugs change, cut plug wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs change, cut plug wire

Here's what happened: z28 had 64kmiles on it, and I decided to change spark plugs; after I did plugs on the driver side, which was easier, than I expected; I decided to go to the passenger side - I didn't see any way to get to the spark plugs except by removing coil rails ('99), as per installuniversity instructions.
To do that I had to pull plug wires from the coil packs - I was tired, I suppose, and thouse wires are hard to take out, so I tried to use a screwdriver and accidentally cut the rubber isolation on the plug wire, the rubber end of the wire which goes around extending [from the coil pack] plastic tube, which covers electrode on the coil pack. Cut is about 1/2-1/4 inch. I turned the engine on and checked for sparks/irregularities. Everything was fine.

- do you think a wire cut like this can affect anything and should I replace it with a new one??

btw, factory plugs (NGK 5PC, or something like that) on the driver side all had gaps at 0.060 - 0.061 (my car has 64kmiles on it), with a white spot on the top electrode, which I assume is the platinum disk, so I guess rumors about stock plug being garbage are highly exhagerated
Old 03-21-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Plugs change, cut plug wire

If it is not arcing, it may be fine. But, I feel pretty certain that it will give you trouble in the rain or on a really humid night (sometime when you least expect it). I'd probably get a new wire. Just my thoughts....