Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle problem - totally lost

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: throttle problem - totally lost

Let it idle, get it to that point of being
"hung up" at 2000 RPM, and then open up the
hood and try forcing the throttle cam by hand
to close the blade. If you can make it go back
down to normal (and IAC-controlled) by pushing
then this implicates the throttle cables
(might need adjusting) or the gas pedal
(might have something getting behind the
upper part of the arm and not letting it
settle).
Old 03-23-2003, 07:17 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jimmyblue:
<strong> Let it idle, get it to that point of being
"hung up" at 2000 RPM, and then open up the
hood and try forcing the throttle cam by hand
to close the blade. If you can make it go back
down to normal (and IAC-controlled) by pushing
then this implicates the throttle cables
(might need adjusting) or the gas pedal
(might have something getting behind the
upper part of the arm and not letting it
settle). </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">exactly^^ but
if this is not the problem disconnect iac when the engine is at idle & drive the car,see if the problem goes away.Have seen faulty iac's before. Does it have any codes/ses light?

<small>[ March 23, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: wrencher ]</small>
Old 03-23-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses.

The idea of holding letting it get "hung up" and then seeing if I could push on the throttle cam has been tried. It was doing that earlier, but I fixed that - the blade was catching in one spot so I readjusted the blade and that problem went away.

I'll try the IAC disconnect and see how that works.

The only code it is setting is "higher idle than expected or something like that.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default throttle problem - totally lost

I am completely lost as to what the problem is with my throttle. First I'll tell you guys what the problem is, then I'll tell you what I've tried.

Here's the problem: The car idles perfectly fine. But if the throttle is pushed the engine will rev up to 2500rpms and hold there for a couple seconds, then slowly ramp down to 2000rpms then hold at 2000rpms. The motor is doing this at all times. When I come to a stop light and push the clutch pedal in - it revs up and holds. The big kicker is that in gear it does it as well - meaning if I am in gear at anything below 2000rpms, the car will literally pull itself along to 2000rpms, even in 5th and 6th gear.

So here is what I have tried. I first thought it was the ported TB. So I spent a couple hours swapping TBs, TB plates, sensors, etc. I went to a stock TB, stock blade - ported TB, etc etc - just about every combo I could think off. The combo that is in the car right now is ported TB, with a stock blade. The blade is not rubbing or catching - and the throttle cable is not catching as far as I can tell. I also tried adjusting the throttle cable, but that didn't do anything either.

I'm totally lost. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on. Could it be in the programing?

Also - all this occured before I installed my cam and LS6 intake, so that should not be the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.