Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover removal

Well i am planning on painting my coil packs and Valve covers to make the engine alittle more better to look at, I am wondering once i remove the valve covers when i go to put them back on how tight do i tighten them down??? how many pounds of torque?? And also whats the best way to paint them?? do i sand them and prime them then paint?? or do i clean off then prime and paint??
Old 06-14-2006, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just do hand tight with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Make sure the o-ring gasket doesn't get in direct sunlight or get any kind of carb cleaner/etc. on it. Those bastards swell up like and suddenly won't fit back in the gaps. LS1howto.com has TQ specs at the top of the page, might have the actual spec in there.

BTW - You can remove the valve covers without taking off the coil packs on the driver side, and you only need to remove the rear 2 on the passenger side to get that cover off. After you get them off, remove the coil packs all at the same time, don't unhook each one from it's individual connector.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Ok that sounds good i thought i might be able to get the driverside one off without removing anything but wasnt sure about the passenger side since its so damn cramped in there lol. still i can change #8 spark plug with removing the coil packs, its a bitch but can be done lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 PM
That's what she said...

I use a 1/4" drive air ratchet, 3" wobble extension, and 10mm socket. Zip zip zip zip zip..... what does the barber say?????

NEXT!

I take my 1/4" air ratchet to bed with me at night.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah i need to get me a Air Ratchet set so this stuff will come off alot faster and go back on alot faster as well, how much does one usually cost??
Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
Yeah i need to get me a Air Ratchet set so this stuff will come off alot faster and go back on alot faster as well, how much does one usually cost??
Best $50 my girlfriend ever spent.

I can't go anywhere without buying 1/4" drive accessories, I could remove the #8 sparkplug from the back seat with it I **** you not. It doesn't really have enough tq to break something loose or get it really tight, but you can use it as a wrench, then squeeze the trigger. It beats the hell out of sitting there getting 1/8th of a turn at a time using a damn wrench.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i hate that epecially when i retightened my header bolts after i put them on and ran it, plus arms get all tore up and its a bitch most of the time lol.