Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods That Dont Need Tuning? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods That Dont Need Tuning? Ideas?

Hey guys my car right now as it sits is as follows, hoosier qtps, 3400 stall, royal purple gear oil, mobil 1 10w30 motor oil, suncoast ram air hood kit, borla exhaust (open plate), hypertech power program installed. i am looking for more power but can't get the car tuned as the place aroud me charges 750.00 or more to tune an ls1 as they say it is "tricky". so i am trying to get the mods that don't require tuning, maybe plugs and wires, i am switching to royal purple 5w30 next time i change the oil though this week that should be worth something. thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just a suggestion: why dont you look into gettin a tuning software such as hp tuners, ls1 edit, efi live, etc? you could easily learn to tune your own car.

OR if nothing else, a predator would be better than nothing at all.

and as for that hypertech, i'd rather have nothing at all.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Most headers don't "require" tuning, it just helps them perform better. An LS6 or FAST intake and ported TB would help as well. With the A4, you probably wouldn't be able to find a camshaft good enough to be worth it that didn't require some tuning.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr98z28
Hey guys my car right now as it sits is as follows, hoosier qtps, 3400 stall, royal purple gear oil, mobil 1 10w30 motor oil, suncoast ram air hood kit, borla exhaust (open plate), hypertech power program installed. i am looking for more power but can't get the car tuned as the place aroud me charges 750.00 or more to tune an ls1 as they say it is "tricky". so i am trying to get the mods that don't require tuning, maybe plugs and wires, i am switching to royal purple 5w30 next time i change the oil though this week that should be worth something. thanks in advance guys.
Not trying to be funny, but you would do really well to read up on general tuning and performance mods then move onto LS1 specific stuff.

You won't see any performance or noticable HP gain swapping plugs, wires or oil. Not unless you had something wrong before hand.

As for tuning, well there must be hundreds of places that can do it, they are all over the place.

Unless in CA you want:
-lid
-ported stock TB and LS6 intake or FAST 90/90
-LT's
-high flow CATS
-3" mid pipe & catback or duals with X/H mid pipe
-Stall
-Gears (3.42+)
-cam
-tune
-chassis & suspension upgrades
-Nitrous and/or FI
Old 06-15-2006, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

I am assuming you have a lid....

Smoothe Bellow, ported throttle body, and then do headers. At that point I would consider the tune.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BQTransAm
I am assuming you have a lid....

Smoothe Bellow, ported throttle body, and then do headers. At that point I would consider the tune.
Smooth Bellow

Give me a brake. Taking your shoes off before you go for a drive will have a greater affect on performance.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

alright so basically nothing withot a tune oh well thnx ne ways.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you can add the intake lid, an underdrive pulley, and a catback without tuning and have no adverse effects, anythign more then that and tuning is kinda needed. I'd ditch the hypercrap for sure.. those things are pretty much useless.

As for the place charging $750 to tune a car.. I don't know where you are but that is absolutely insane. There's plenty of people on here that could do you a mail order tune that would cost you probably 1/2 that or less and would be damn near dead on for a bolt on car.

$750 for tuning, if I had to pay that much to have my car tuned, I'd have sold it and bought old school with a carb. and done it myself in the garage LOL.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i picked up 5 mph in the 1/4 after adding headers, untuned...they don't NEED a tune to get good gains, you just get even MORE with a tune. get these mods:

lid
headers
ls6 intake
gears only if you have 273, if you have 323 leave them alone...(i think you can use the hypertech to adjust your speedo?)
get a 160 therostat and program your fans how you want...

that should get you ~110mph trap speeds, if not more, all without a "big" tune.

i have 3 engine mods. lid, ls6 intake, full exhaust. no tune, i trap 110 every now and then. also, !air & !egr..
Old 06-15-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Only handheld for the '98s is the Hypertech....the Predator and the others are only for 99+.....there is plenty of things you can do without tuning, and these people are telling you all of them, so I dont see why you say
"alright so basically nothing withot a tune oh well thnx ne ways"
They listed a bunch of things that dont require tuning.