Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported TB and MAF problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Ported TB and MAF problems...

Ok, so yesterday I bought a ported TB and MAF. Very nice, and I got a good deal on them. They were fairly easy to install, and no problems. Then I took it for a test drive...

First the car idled around 1k-1100rpms. Weird. And when I was cruising at any speed and pushed the clutch it, the rpms would shoot up to around 2k. I tried unplugging the battery, putting the stock MAF in, resetting the PCM, lowering my idle (which lowers it if the car is at a complete stop after it has been sitting for around 20 seconds), but none of these seem to fix the problem. Now, the car throws a code for "Idle Control System - High Idle"... well duh.

Is there anyway I can reset the Idle Control System or maybe the Throttle Positioning Sensor.

Also, the gas pedal seems to sit lower that it did before, could this have anything to do it with it? Maybe the throttle bracket is different. It appear to be the same, but the curve may be a little steeper on the new one.

I'm stumped...
Old 06-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like someone got too "ambitious" porting in the sensitive area around the TB blade (in the area of low TP angles). Very common situation with home ported TB's. This may or may not be the case with yours, but its something to look out for. Put your stock TB back on as a test and Im sure it eliminates the problem.

Tony M.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the stock TB on, and it fixed it. Well... bummer.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a way to reset the IAC but I can't remember how. I think you have to diconnect the battery for several min. and then reconnect and then turn on the ignition part way for several seconds then turn it off for several secs. and then your good. Also are the cams for the throttle cable different on the two TBs?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IAC has an o-ring that likes to stay in the old throttle bodies when you swap the accuators. I left mine out and it idled like hell, put it back in and it ran perfect. Maby you accidentally left that o-ring in your old TB when you swapped the stuff over.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a allen head screw on the side of the throttle body. Where the lower bump stop is. Adjust it down and it might solve the problem. It did on mine because it was adjusted up when the cam was installed to get it to idle.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped my directly and had no problems.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id say the torx idle adjustment screw would be worth a try mine was alil high also, or if that wont fix it you could always make the hole in the tb blade smaller with some filler or even better if you can weld it and drill a desired size.