Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New plugs/wires and !AIR,,,ticking sound..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New plugs/wires and !AIR,,,ticking sound..

Just finished my plugs/wires,,, and !AIR mod. Very happy I finished the plugs and wires,, it wasn't the most fun thing to do,, but it is done! At first start-up the idle was a little rough,, but over a few minutes it got better. As soon as I left the driveway and gave it some throttle I started to hear a ticking sound. The more throttle I gave it the louder and faster the ticking sound got. I know all my plugs are tight. Wires are on good. I checked all of that. Is there anything else that I maybe forgot with the !AIR mod? My ride is a 2000 TA. Maybe something else should be done for that year? All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

ttt, I did searches and the only thing I could find is that maybe there is a leak in my block off plates,, but I don't think there is,, (rtv sealant was used)
Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAm_00
ttt, I did searches and the only thing I could find is that maybe there is a leak in my block off plates,, but I don't think there is,, (rtv sealant was used)
I had the same sound after my install I just used double gaskets on the blockoff plate and it was gone.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't actually use any gaskets,, just the RTV sealant. 2 morrow I'll go and pick up some materials and go for the fix... Any other opinions on the prob????
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

From your first post stating you checked the wires and plugs again, I would say its got to be a leak from the block-off plate especially since you said it gets louder and faster with the rpm's, hopefully you will get some second opinions here shortly.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Id check the plugs and wires again. I checked mine like 5 times then I did it again and the back passenger side wire was a little loose.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
That's what she said...

Plug/wire gets my vote. You might have a plug with cracked porcelain, they sometimes come messed up from the manufacturer. You should be able to feel a puff from around the blockoff plates if that's the problem.