LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

IAT relocation after a speed density conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default IAT relocation after a speed density conversion

I've gone through about 15 threads in the search archives looking for info on this and what I've gathered is that speed density setups rely more heavily on correct IAT sensor readings because they contribute to the PCM's fuel table adjustments.

Here's where I'm at:

I've done a custom air intake setup that has completely deleted the intake elbow and armature. I have a custom aftermarket water neck that allows clearance and I've installed a K&N cone shaped air filter directly onto the throttle body. I'm running a ramair hood that's been made functional and the opening is directly above the air filter. Because I won't have an elbow or intake tube to mount an IAT sensor in, I'm looking for suggestions on where would be the most ideal location to put this. Most of the people who have contributed info on this topic had MAF cars and it appeared that all they needed to do was get the sensor away from the engine to prevent it from being heat soaked but I'm not sure whether that will be satisfactory for a speed density setup. I'm 100% sure that the resistor mod is out of the question.

I've relocated my battery to the trunk and removed the stock coolant overflow tank and have an aftermarket stainless one. There is plenty of clearance around the new overflow tank down in that cutout where the stock piece used to reside. Would that be a good place?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its not in the air stream its not going to be acurate anyway... why not just throw a resistor in it and call it a day.

i dont think its going to screw with the tune enough to cause a problem.

i have seen people put them in the end of the air filter. it just all depends on what kind you got.

Quick Reply: IAT relocation after a speed density conversion