Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing mac headers and ory...please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing mac headers and ory...please help

ok, i know there is a sticky and i have read everything on all of them but i still have to ask some questions. I bought ceramic coated mac mid lengths and and ORY. i have an 02 SS A4. i just got the headers in from ups a sec ago on my lunch break and saw that on one of the primarys there was a tube that goes upward with a couple of holes....what bolts to this, AIR or EGR or something? or did Mac send me the wrong ****? also, i had my mail order tune block out the codes for the 02's and such. He also said i could use my rear 02's and plug them into the front harnesses since they are longer and then i wouldnt have to buy extensions. please help me, i appreciate it in advance
Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tube with the holes is for AIR or EGR. Which side was it? Was there just 1? I'm not sure if Mac sells them in a "race" version with no provisions or not.

Your friend gave you bad information, the rear O2 sensors have just about the same length wires, or nobody would ever buy O2 extensions. The bungs in the Mac mids might be close enough not to need them, but using the rear O2 sensors isn't going to matter.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

alright, but i thought that 01 and 02's didnt come with air or egr....am i wrong? also, i was on my lunch break so i had to take a quick look, dont really remember which side, will get back with you on that one. And as far as the extensions for the front 02's go, where would i buy them and should i just go ahead and replace the front o2's anyway (35,000 miles). Also forgot to ask, can i reuse the stock gaskets for these headers or should i buy new ones? if so which ones? thanks man
Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 02s the AIR is still on the exhaust manifolds/headers, the EGR is taken care of by the cam overlap, so there is no external EGR valve in either the 01 or 02
As for the gaskets the stock ones work fine, if you have leaks that develop after the install that can't be eliminated by tightening the bolts, you can either get new stock gaskets,(try your local dealer, or SDPC) or try the Percys dead soft aluminum gasket (Summit racing)
O2s I'd go with the vette rears (bosch 13111) don't know if mids make the insufficient switching code come on more, (as LTs do) but the vette rears help eliminate that problem
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
On the 02s the AIR is still on the exhaust manifolds/headers, the EGR is taken care of by the cam overlap, so there is no external EGR valve in either the 01 or 02
As for the gaskets the stock ones work fine, if you have leaks that develop after the install that can't be eliminated by tightening the bolts, you can either get new stock gaskets,(try your local dealer, or SDPC) or try the Percys dead soft aluminum gasket (Summit racing)
O2s I'd go with the vette rears (bosch 13111) don't know if mids make the insufficient switching code come on more, (as LTs do) but the vette rears help eliminate that problem
alright so still keeping the A.I.R. and connecting to the mac's is no problem then....it wont hurt performance?? and i will just go ahead and order the Percy's from summit cause i really dont fell like having any leaks down the road and messing with that **** again. And you're saying to replace my front 02's with corvette rears (bosch 13111) and then i wont need extensions???? cool man, thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

You dont need exstensions with Mac headers at all.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
You dont need exstensions with Mac headers at all.
well by god...should i still get the vette o2's then or not? and i didnt have time to check but where are my front O2's going to mount on this MAC system, Headers or ORY??? thanks guys
Old 06-16-2006, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

If you're having problems with your 02s then replace them. Otherwise you dont need new ones. Your front 02s go in the headers, the rear ones plug in the y pipe.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You should return the headers first, ..., that is, if they have the EGR hook-up out in front of the first exhuast port, as a small tube that goes back into the collector area. As mentioned before, they are not needed on the 01-02 models.

Don't even trust re-using old gaskets. You won't want to do this twice.

Do the install, then check to see if any codes arise. If so, then you could get the O2sims & put them in place to eliminate any codes. That's easy compared to replacing gaskets.

But you won't need the extensions with the Macs either.

Keep us posted, ...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

ok, just got home to look at them. Both headers each have a little mount with a hole vertically on the first primary (closest towards radiator)??? WTF??? ok, then the ORY has bungs for the rear O2's??? WTF!?!?!? someone help and tell me why the **** i am still keeping all 4 02's and what the hell those freakin things are on each header for....sorry for venting, just not what i expected. please help!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

bump...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HD1911
ok, just got home to look at them. Both headers each have a little mount with a hole vertically on the first primary (closest towards radiator)??? WTF??? ok, then the ORY has bungs for the rear O2's??? WTF!?!?!? someone help and tell me why the **** i am still keeping all 4 02's and what the hell those freakin things are on each header for....sorry for venting, just not what i expected. please help!!!
Those are the mounts for the AIR valves, as for the o2 holes, plug the rears (you can use the old o2 sensors), and use sims in the connectors ( the ones the rear o2s connect to)
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Use blockoff plates and delete all the air stuff.

Macs don't need o2 extensions on any F-body I've put them on.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

ok, so i am using my existing front 02's....installing the rear ones in the ORY just to plug the holes but disconnecting them from the harness at the same time since i dont need them...and buying sims? (even tho the tuner said he was deleting the rears on the tune and no light should come on??). I orded some SCE copper gaskets. Now, moving on to the blockoff plates and deleting the air stuff like GILLBOT said. Where do i buy the exact stuff and what all is required?? someone please explain the process, i think i have everything else... thanks once again guys
Old 06-17-2006, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust I got my block off plates from Speed Inc. Scroll down to "emissions block off plates". Just bolt them on with the gasket between.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

If your tuner is deleting the codes for the rear o2s you do NOT need to buy simms, the codes will be turned off, so no SES light will be set
Now if you want you can plug in the rear o2s (to keep the connector clean) and there should be no problem with codes being set
You can either make the blockoff plates yourself, or purchase them from speed inc (sponsor------------------>)
You can use the stock front o2s without extensions as long as the wires reach the connector, tho IMO you might want to look into the 13111s if you start to get insufficient switching codes from the fronts (bank 1&2 sensor 1)
Old 06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
If your tuner is deleting the codes for the rear o2s you do NOT need to buy simms, the codes will be turned off, so no SES light will be set
Now if you want you can plug in the rear o2s (to keep the connector clean) and there should be no problem with codes being set
You can either make the blockoff plates yourself, or purchase them from speed inc (sponsor------------------>)
You can use the stock front o2s without extensions as long as the wires reach the connector, tho IMO you might want to look into the 13111s if you start to get insufficient switching codes from the fronts (bank 1&2 sensor 1)

Hey thanks buddy.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

alright last question i promise......should i go ahead and buy new bolts or studs to complete the job??? Which are they??? thanks fellas
Old 06-17-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

You can if the budget allows, tho it's not required, the stock bolts will work fine, or you can get the fancy locking bolts, or ARP studs.
Depends if you want to/can afford to
Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HD1911
ok, so i am using my existing front 02's....installing the rear ones in the ORY just to plug the holes but disconnecting them from the harness at the same time since i dont need them...and buying sims? (even tho the tuner said he was deleting the rears on the tune and no light should come on??). I orded some SCE copper gaskets. Now, moving on to the blockoff plates and deleting the air stuff like GILLBOT said. Where do i buy the exact stuff and what all is required?? someone please explain the process, i think i have everything else... thanks once again guys
You can buy a bung plug at the auto parts store. They are only a couple bucks.