Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

*Update* EVO IX vs. LS1 SS (Both cars with $1,000 worth of mods)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Update* EVO IX vs. LS1 SS (Both cars with $1,000 worth of mods)

Well been a while since I last posted here, but I just wanted to update you guys on the planned race between my EVO IX w/ $1,000 worth of mods vs. a LS1 SS (w/ $1,000 worth of mods).

Well we did race one night, just to get a gauge of how are cars are both near stock. His only mod at the time was a custom built exhaust (which to my understanding was built for a pretty cheap price ) vs. my EVO IX w/ just a drop in air filter. Well we did a couple of roll races and we were pretty much even, maybe him pulling 1/2 a car at around 120mph+. His car is an A4, I always thought it was a 6-Speed, so this could be the difference . He was rather surprised that my IX was as fast as it was.

Well then a couple days later, accident , not a horrible accident, but bad enough for my car to be in the shop for a substantial amount of time being fixed. So the race of course has been postponed, but I have now got the car back and planned mods go into effect beginning July.

Ever since that race between us, he has been very tight lip on his car and has not driven it into work since then, any info I have gotten has been from rumors. Rumor is his car is finished and rumor is he took it to Irwindale Speedway (1/8th mile) to test out. He wouldn't say what he ran when I questioned him about this rumor, but let's just say by his facial expression he wasn't too pleased. Rumor is he ran a 8.2@86mph with his mods. How good is that as far as 1/4 mile time for a SS. I've been serching and I believe it is around 12.5-12.8@108-111MPH, is this a correct range? Sorry don't know other key info like 60' and etc... Honestly if the rumor is true, I think I may be able to win this race. Sorry that I can't provide more info on his car, but as I said info is very hard to come by.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

What else have you bought for yours?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Well didn't have the car for like four weeks and had to pay the $500 deductible and some other things have come up, so other mods haven't yet been done to my car. But I plan to go with a Turboback Exhaust w/ Test Pipe, Manual Boost Controller, Drop In Filter, a Tune, and 100 octane gas.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I'm taking my car to Cal Speedway on July 15th and 16th, to see what she runs after the mods I'll update you guys with what I run. I won't tell him though, because if he is gonna be shady with info, then so will I.

Also my biggest concern was that accident may have hurt my cars performance, and my concern was correct at first. Car just didn;t feel as fast. Took it to Irwindale also, and confirmed this. traps went from 82-83mph before accident to 80-81mph. But my driving did improve, I now hit consisent 1.8s and lower. Still I was pretty worried, but found out the problem, shop that did the work on my car, did a pretty sh*tty job, a lot of my hoses were lose and some missing, started boosting lower and lower each day. Was going to take the car back to the repair shop, when I lost total boost. The car limped home . Turned out to be a quick fix though, and car now feels like how it did before

Last edited by BSmonitor; 06-17-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck!
Keep us informed, and get it on video!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

definately get it on vid. if he was ballsy, he could get a used n20 kit with a substantial hit (like 125 maybe?) and some drag radials and im sure it would be pretty hairy. but on the same token, so could you. you cant replaced nitrous as a quick cheap boost in performance.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he beat you on the street then went and ran a shitty time at the track, it wont matter. he will still beat you on the street the same way he did the first. it will come down to who did more work with mods that wins the next one
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00firebird
if he beat you on the street then went and ran a shitty time at the track, it wont matter. he will still beat you on the street the same way he did the first. it will come down to who did more work with mods that wins the next one
He beat me on the streets when we were both near stock, when we race in July it will be a different story, or not? We will see.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Launching!

*For those who might not have seen the original thread, Nitrous is not being used on either car by agreement.

Initialy it looked like a clear blow to the LS1, but lately I have been looking at NO2 use on Evos, and they seem to love the stuff. I guess it makes sense since its effectively making the intercooler a hell of a lot more efficient as well as adding 02 to the mix.

I dont see anyone running a 125 shot like on LS1s though LOL.

Anyway, Thanks for the update, this is a really cool real world type experiment. I think people on both sides of the line are a bit cocky when it comes to this subject .
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

If his car's an auto, he has 3.23's, yes? That would be a reason why it was so close. 3.42s or 3.73s could have made things VERY different. My lid only M6 Trans Am (stock 3.42s) pulled an exhaust only EVO (XIII or IX, not sure) from 50-90 pretty decently, but that could be the driver mod.

Dont get me wrong, not trying to hate, the EVOs are starting to grow on me a lil ( ), but it should still be a really close race until we see what mods he comes up with. Good Luck
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
If his car's an auto, he has 3.23's, yes? That would be a reason why it was so close. 3.42s or 3.73s could have made things VERY different. My lid only M6 Trans Am (stock 3.42s) pulled an exhaust only EVO (XIII or IX, not sure) from 50-90 pretty decently, but that could be the driver mod.

Dont get me wrong, not trying to hate, the EVOs are starting to grow on me a lil ( ), but it should still be a really close race until we see what mods he comes up with. Good Luck

Probably an VIII, IX's are running 12's stock.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sparetire

I dont see anyone running a 125 shot like on LS1s though LOL.
Why run 125 when it likes the 150 better? At least that's what my car told me. GIVE ME MORE!!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rubber duck
Why run 125 when it likes the 150 better? At least that's what my car told me. GIVE ME MORE!!!!
Needs to be rounded off to a even 200. At least that is what my car told me...
Old 06-17-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Probably an VIII, IX's are running 12's stock.
Thanks, didnt know that.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Launching!

My car tells me to burn things....like oil.....