LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Retrofit 700r4 lockup question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit 700r4 lockup question

With gas as high as it is, I thought I might wanna install a lockup switch in the car. The TC is lockup type and the GM solenoid is in place, but of course I didn't use the A4 harness so I don't have lockup. I do have an A4 flash image in the computer. Without buying an A4 harness, can one get the lockup connector for the trans and wire it into the appropriate pin for the PCM? If so, can someone tell me how to wire it in or point me to a schematic? I am assuming with the A4 flash image, I can get the computer to control the locking and unlocking of the convertor. Can someone confirm this? Will the brake switch unlock it? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Just to clarify, I just want to control lockup only. I do not care if it knows which gear I am in or anything like that. It's starting to look like the connector on mine might differ from that of the 4l60e....... Does this complicate my situation or no?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey bro just get the harness they are like 30 dollars that is what i get them for and it will pop right in
Old 06-18-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

The pigtail part of the harness or the whole shooting match? More details please (btw saw an auto harness on Ebay, starting bid $100+).
Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just the tranny harness the plug clips right in to the case not hard to change at all
Old 06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dhdenney, are you running the Mad Dog tranny? The guy outta Tampa?

I was gonna buy one of his 700's
Old 06-19-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
just the tranny harness the plug clips right in to the case not hard to change at all
Care to point me to a retailer? Have a PN? Autozone have them? After I get the right plug, where do I wire it from there? I'm still running the M6 harness.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowmofo
Dhdenney, are you running the Mad Dog tranny? The guy outta Tampa?

I was gonna buy one of his 700's
Yeah I bought a Mad Dog. I ran into some problems with his tailshaft. I told them my app and they sent the old style tailshaft housing with the mechanical speedo. I called them and told them what was up and they refunded me like $20 or something. So that's no biggie I guess. I didn't like his shift/reprogramming kit so I had a Trans Go installed. My guy that installed the shift kit said that he found metal in the pan and suggested we take it out and look it over. He found that a bearing had seized on the 5 pinion planetary set so he replaced that. He said everything else looked good and the parts seemed to be what Lou claimed them to be. My guy just charged $300 to remove and replace the transmission, fix the planets, and install the shift kit. It would have cost me that much to have shipped the thing back to FL to get fixed minus installing the TG sk. When automatic shifting, this thing shifts extremely early. Not sure why since it's mechanical. Maybe I just need to adjust the TV cable. That's why I will be manual shifting it at the track. If I could go back and do it again, I probably would have had my local builder build one up with a TCI rmvb. Just my hindsight.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm Well Tampa is still 3hours from me, If I was to have a problem I wouldn't be much better off.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am not sure about the m6 harness Hmmm the harness for the tranny i buy them at "whatever it takes transmission parts" here in orlando i have a business account with them. but i think i may have misunderstood your post what you have is something i would have to look at for myself
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

IC, I think I may be going with the B&M lockup control. It's a little pricey but it can control lockup based on speed. So all I have to do is determine about the MPH where it shifts into overdrive, turn my ****, and I have lockup.

Quick Reply: Retrofit 700r4 lockup question