Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers+Y-Pipe+????

Old 06-18-2006, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers+Y-Pipe+????

I am getting ready to purchase Pacesetter Longtubes w/air and EGR. Also the TSP offroad Y-Pipe. What other Accesories do i need to purchase to make everything go smoothly, ex: Gaskets, 02 Extensions? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

either re-use the stock gaskets or buy new GM ones, there are not that expensive and worth it IMO. but DO NOT use the pacesetter gaskets!! im not positive because i only have mid-lengths, but im pretty sure you are going to need the 02 extensions, because mine barely reached with mids. one tip, to make everything go easier, soak all the stock y-pipe bolts in WD40 the day before you do the install and let them soak overnight.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Teching In

yes, you will need extensions. also you are going to need 02sims if you do not plan to get the rear 02s tuned out. Its a pretty easy install, I did it last weekend with a friend and it took us about 4 hours, just take your time
Old 06-18-2006, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

Does Anybody happen to have any pictures of your headers from like a side view so i know what i am going to be up against for ground clearance. thanks

Last edited by Camaro Z; 06-18-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Required items for a header/y pipe install
gaskets, the stock gm ones are fine, either reuse your original or purchase new
o2 extensions, you can either purchase extensions, or use the included wire to extend the originals, or buy new bosch 13111 and eliminate the need for extensions
Band clamps, they seem to help the y pipe seal better than the c clamps included with the y
Things that are nice but not required
plugs, just in case you break one of the stockers, it's nice to be able to replace it right away without having to misfire down to the parts store plus it's an ideal time to change them without the exhaust you have lots of room
wires, you could possibly rip the wire out of the boot, so again to preven "Oh **** Syndrome" wires are nice to have
block off plates, if you're eliminating the egr and or air, you'll need them to block the fittings on the headers
Tools
a 10mm gear wrench, assorted sockets (metric) and a jack and jack stands, along with lights are about all you need
Another tip: fit the pieces together before trying to install them, it's alot easier to tweak the openings if you're not lying on your back under the car
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 10mm gear wrench
you definetly want to have a 10mm gear wrench, made things soooo much easier.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Launching!

the tsp ory comes with band clamps for attaching to the headers, and u clamps to put the y pipe together.

other than that you will need at least one person to help so one person can hold the headers in place and one can start the bolts. i would suggest bring several 10 mm sockets in different combenations to make it easier and in case you brake one (like me ).

also a saw all cuz it helps in removal of the old y pipe and cutting the piece off the block on the driver side, that sometimes gets in the way

-Josh
Old 06-18-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

How many 02 Sensor extensions do i need, 2...right?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:17 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you'll need 2 24" extensions. I would get the pacesetter y-pipe if you're concerned with ground clearance, and also a set of poly motor mounts to keep the body-slappage to a minimum (not a good thing in this case ).

Search this Thread