Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what block to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what block to start

well im trying to get into F.I. didnt see a sticky on this and im in a hurry so didnt have time to search but im curious what would be a good block to start a F.I. build with im leaning towards a LQ9 bored to a 408 if possible all of this is going to replace my LT1 and my LT1 is going to be going into a 78 280z im looking into building a pretty baddass motor 600hp+.... i know all the other stuff building up the tranny, rear end, fuel system and such and already have good ideas of what im gonna run along those lines just wanted to see if you guys think that would be a good block to start with or if there is something else that would work better for F.I.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:46 AM
9 Second Club

Your on track... do some research to help.. there is allot to know. But you would be good with an Iron 408 with -15 CC dish forged pistons.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600 is a walk in the park on a boosted LSX. 700-800 isnt all that hard at all either. Stock cranks have eclipsed the 1000 RWHP mark. Forged pistons and rods and stock crank and descent heads with a descent turbo your flirting around the 800 RWHP range, safely. Of course youll need supporting mods, trans, rear driveshaft, exaust etc...

You will be fine with an aluminum block if all you want is 600 RWHP, iron blocks are needed at higher levels, but you should be fine with an LS1 block, LS2 if you want a even stronger foundation. Iron is 80 lbs heavier but good to well over 1000 RWHP.

I came from the LT1 camo also, and things really are much bigger and better on this side of the fence.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

great, thats kinda of what i was wanting to hear .... im looking into the LQ9 408 because i want to be able to get even higher power levels later on about as high as i would want would be 750s or so but everyone knows the game once you get somewhere and sit there you just want more..... i am going to have to look into heads also.... i had a friend say something about ETP heads but im not to sure about that..... im either looking a 9inch or a S60 for the rear end and im going to have the T56 built up to handle it.....along with the rest of the driveline ...... heads are about the only thing im not real current on with this kind of setup ...... fuel system i can handle ..... exhuast i know a few places that can fab up some great stuff so i know that is taken care off also.... well im not really leaving the LT1 camp anyway because the LT1 is going to be put into the 280z ..... if i could justify it i would get a LS1 platform to use for the motor but i just like my 96 trans am to much and its going to get the motor i have grown to like the lines of my car more than the newer cars
Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and lots and lots, and lots, did i mention lots? of $. **** will end up 2-3 times as expensive as you think usually.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

oh yeah i know that theres already about 20000 in my car including buying price with the mods i have on my 3rd tranny after 2 autos i finally got tired of it and converted to M6 and wouldnt go back unless its a drag only car and the engine rebuild it has added up i can tell ya that already
Old 06-19-2006, 02:46 AM
9 Second Club

Yea... when asked how much it would take to build a 10 sec FI car from scratch... I would say 12-15k

9 Sec FI car... 20-25k

That is if you do EVERYTHING right the first time and dont have to replace already purchased things over and over...

This is of course IMHO
Old 06-19-2006, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Yea... when asked how much it would take to build a 10 sec FI car from scratch... I would say 12-15k

9 Sec FI car... 20-25k

That is if you do EVERYTHING right the first time and dont have to replace already purchased things over and over...

This is of course IMHO
I'd say your close, maybe even a bit on the low side. Really depends on how much of the work you do yourself. All the little stuff adds up QUICK!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toonz
I'd say your close, maybe even a bit on the low side. Really depends on how much of the work you do yourself. All the little stuff adds up QUICK!
im sure your bro knows exactly about that
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i dont plan on changing anything unless its a upgrade im going to build it right the first time ..... thats not to bad as for as the prices even if its a little more i was preparing myself to spend upwards of 35k if i had to ..... i am going to be buried in this car with how much i am prolly going to spend on it ....... i can do a lot of assembly stuff myself the only thing i would really need to have a shop do will be the motor internals and such that take special tools ..... and some welding since i dont have welding tools ...... heads i can prolly do myself im really looking forward to get this thing started mainly because ill be the only F.I. f-body in my local area that i know of and i have always wanted to do it just a matter of time now that i have my mind made up