Clutch Problems - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch Problems - Help Please

I'm having some problems with my clutch. This morning was the worst it's been, having to try crawling through traffic. It seems like it's the master cylinder, because I'll hold the clutch pedal down for period, but then it's engaging right off the floor. It's gotten so bad that there was one time where it wouldn't go into gear until I pumped up the pedal.

So, is that a bad master or slave? Could it be both? I don't have a problem changing the master, but the slave requires removing the transmission; not my favorite thing to do.

What's everybody think?

Brian
Old 06-19-2006, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slave cylinder
Old 06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like the slave to me as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

This isn't sounding good...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the fluid low???? Try bleeding the system as well should be a quick fix maybe but yes sounds like the slave...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

i just bought this car three months ago. It only had 10,000 miles on it. Could the lack of driving likely wasted the seals in the slave? Plausible, or grasping at straws?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the length of this, but I think it is relavent to your plight.

A year ago, my clutch was slipping terribly. I had the clutch replaced and had the transmission rebuilt with an overhaul kit, kevlar sealing rings, bushings, seals, gaskets, thrust washers, fiber clutches, and steel clutches. The invoice also reads: "Rebuilt clutch packs and valve body". I was told the clutch master cylinder was leaking out of the end seal and the slave cylinder leaking out of the front seal.

They replaced the slave cylinder but only the leaking seal in the master, put in the new clutch and throw out bearing, and all was well. However, I could feel the clutch engaging at a lower point than before and the take up MUCH quicker, but I just chalked it up to the upgraded clutch and adjusted my driving habits.

About a month ago I started having the clutch pedal "stick to the floor" if I kept the clutch disengaged (pedal depressed) for more than about 10 or 15 seconds. I would literally have to put my foot under the pedal and pull it back out before it would work again. I could not shift gears until I got it pulled out and depressed the pedal again.

I took it back in for the warranty work and was told it was the clutch was failing again. I told them I disagreed, that it sounded like the hydrolic system, but what could I do? They pulled the existing clutch (11 months and 8,000 miles old) and put in a new one. SAME problem.

So, I took it back in and told them to check the hydrolics. This time they discovered that the clutch master cylinder had a leaking internal seal (not sure what the inside of the cylinder looks like) and theorized that the new, stong seals in the slave cylinder replaced a year ago placed stress on the old seal of the master and caused failure.

Bottom line: they replaced the master cylinder and all is well. Normal take up and it begins at the right place. Moral of the story? If you're going to replace the master or the slave, it might be in your best interest to replace the other, as well, as seal failure might not be far behind if you don't. BTW, my '00 SS had a relatively low 30,000 miles on it at the time.

Hope that helps...
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you for your reply. It does help. The internal debate is whether to just fix what's broken, or go and buy a LS7 clutch kit while the transmission is out.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Thank you for your reply. It does help. The internal debate is whether to just fix what's broken, or go and buy a LS7 clutch kit while the transmission is out.
get it! i love mine. and you can have the tranny out in about30 mins and back in in less then an hour, its not that bad.