Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock headers

So I just got my long tubes in (edelbrock) and I took a peek inside and noticed that the collectors are not attached to the headers... I had thought they came assembled... they are the "race" series headers. So now i need to get the collectors welded onto the header pipes, but wont they ruin the "TiTech" coating??? Ne one else get there headers like this? The picture for them on their website shows them all assembled...
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

They sell a kit that is already welded and the set that you have. The collector is a slip on. If you look further into the box, you'll find brackets that need to be welded to the collector and the headers to secure it into place, aswell as the O2 bungs, etc. Those headers are great if you are going to do the welding or have them installed by someone who can. If thats not something you want to do, send them back and buy the welded set. I'm not sure if there is a price difference.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a performance difference?? I mean if i can get it already welded up for the same price that would seem like the logical way to do it... I woould have to have someone else weld the **** up for me so it'll prolly cost me some more money to do it that way. Also I am still wondering, will welding ruin the coating?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
Is there a performance difference?? I mean if i can get it already welded up for the same price that would seem like the logical way to do it... I woould have to have someone else weld the **** up for me so it'll prolly cost me some more money to do it that way. Also I am still wondering, will welding ruin the coating?
The coating is going to burn off where they are welded. But, only in those areas. As for a perfomance difference, these are made this way so folks can dial-in the best power. We just put the ******* on. It made a huge improvement over the Dynatech stepped headers we have and there is simply no comparison to the flowtechs we have on the other car.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

these are slip-on headers...check..you will find most companies now use this method...
Old 06-19-2006, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

They are nice header but ground clearance sucks!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Oh and if you get the coated ones they come all welded together.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ well mine arent ceramic coated they have the titech coating... i got em for $360 plus shipping so it was a good deal.. but i dont wanna see it start to rust in teh spots that need to be welded
Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jurisz28
They sell a kit that is already welded and the set that you have. The collector is a slip on. If you look further into the box, you'll find brackets that need to be welded to the collector and the headers to secure it into place, aswell as the O2 bungs, etc. Those headers are great if you are going to do the welding or have them installed by someone who can. If thats not something you want to do, send them back and buy the welded set. I'm not sure if there is a price difference.

Hmm, i dug down to the bottom of the box, there is a thing that has like the 02 extensions in it, plus the air and egr tube things if i wanted those on (which i dont)... i'm not sure if i see the brackets ur referring too? is taht 100% necesary to do? i'd like to get away with as little welding as possible, being that its the one thing i cant do myself
Old 06-21-2006, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

The brackets really don't look like much. But, you need them or the collector may work itself loose and rattle. Its no big deal having those put on.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't forget to have the o2 bungs welded on too.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weld them on. Don't screw around with doing them just slip-fit. Take my advice from first-hand experience. The only way those things are going to seal up permanently is to weld the collectors to the LT's. I've spent way too much time trying to figure a way around it, so let me save you some time as I've had to order new collector's to weld on in place of the craptastic slip fit MC's I got with mine.