Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise after cam install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ticking noise after cam install

Ok so i finished up all my cam install (torquer 2) as well as a new oil pump, timing chain, vanvle springs and PR's, and now I get a louder than the rest of the ticking, ticking noise. Hard to explain.

I seem to have narrowed it down somewhat. I pulled off my belt to disable the alternator, water pump, and power steering, and I can get the sound to go away. So now i know it is one of those 3. Any ideas on what it could be? Im pretty sure it is comming fromt he water pump, but what would cause that?

When I turn any of them manually I hear nothing ticking or anything, except from the power steering pulley, but im pretty sure thats just the centrifugal clutch for the pump. Anyone else ever ran into this problem?

Was quite a relief to fianlly realize it wasn't any valvetrain problems or valves smacking on pistons, or something like that.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats weird that you narrowed it down to an acessory. I would have guessed it was just the normal sewing machine noise. I dont know how to diagnose which accessory it is without simply replacing parts till it goes away... Good luck.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Well im hoping its like something in the water pump or something like that. Going to take off more stuff tonight after work but any input is always good.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same noise....I blame it on thet huge lobes on that cam... Same cam btw... I havent tried removing accessories, so keep us informed maybe between the two of us we can figure it out
Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Ok, well I put my belt back on this morning, since the engine was hot and was late last night, and now the noise is severly reduced. I think I can still hear it, but it could just be me wanting to hear it ya know.

Try what I just did and start your car for a few secs with no acc belt and see if your noise stops. Mine made no noise with no belt. Then stuff the belt back in there and see if it changes again.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

I have noise from my cam but it's my pushrods which is normal for the MS3
Old 06-20-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

a lot of cammed cars i have heard tick like no other....some are worse than others...i think it sounds worse because you are acctually listening for it. I dont know about you, but i am always listening for something that could be wrong. Other people that ride in my car barely notice anything...sometimes i think its more in my head than anything....
Old 06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Well, before I disconnected my computer to ship it to TSP, I let it run for a bit and stopped and started a few times. The tick did come back. It is very noticable over the all ready noisy valvetrain. Really thinking about pulling the water pump, or getting a **** load of belts of different lengths and try to run one device at a time to see if i can find it.

So no ideas on why one of those things could be ticking louder than any other ticking?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking valvetrain noise, but that is what I hear all day with my cam. That is weird that it was possibly narrowed down to an accessory.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmaffin13
Well, before I disconnected my computer to ship it to TSP, I let it run for a bit and stopped and started a few times. The tick did come back. It is very noticable over the all ready noisy valvetrain. Really thinking about pulling the water pump, or getting a **** load of belts of different lengths and try to run one device at a time to see if i can find it.

So no ideas on why one of those things could be ticking louder than any other ticking?
Have you tried a stethoscope to listen to each accessory? Borrow a stethoscope and you'll know which lump is making the ticking noise very quickly.

I have a long screwdriver, about 2 feet long, that I use to listen to stuff. Stethoscope is easy, but the screwdriver trick requires that I put one end on the item of interest and the other end near the ear up against my head. I'm looking for bone conduction of the noise. It is somewhat dangerous to do this since something is up against my head and onto a running engine, but it has been VERY easy to hear what is noisy. I don't recommend doing the rod thing, but it works for me.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Yea i used a short piece of hose, sounded like the water pump. I just wonder why it would be ticking so loud and so much. It is about 2x as loud as my valvetrain noise. Wouldn't something flow through the rest of the engine if something like a bolt or nut somehow fell in? Im hoping to rule that out because I really don't see how that could have happened.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

All rockers tightened to 22ft.lbs

did you replace the oil pump o-ring?
you did'nt pinch the o-ring installing it did you? this will cause oil to aerate, possibly causing your ticking sound

http://media.putfile.com/TA-start-up
Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

mine was the oil pump O ring. When i pulled the belt the ticking would stop. I think it stoped due to the motor being a little more free, allowing a little more oil in. Took it apart again, fixed the o ring, and bam no more ticking.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually its the in the motor after a cam install. Not sure what's going on there.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

killaz hit the nail on the head. the only accesory that you removed during the cam install is the water pump. if by some small chance something got inside the pump, that would make a noise. However, if all the accesories are eliminated during engine operation, the engine is no longer under a light load. The motor is actually working much easier. Therefore, a noise that may be in the motor while loaded (not the same type of engine load as in when driving) will be more noticable than when an unloaded motor is being run. Take the pump off, inspect the inside of it, shake it around, see if anything comes out or rattles around. If nothing happens, than continue your teardown to the oil pump o-ring.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Hmm, I did re-use the oil pump o ring, but I put it over the pipe, not the inside of the oil pump so I don't see how it could have possibly pinched it. That and with my new oil pump I have great oil pressure, well over 1/2 gauge at cold idle.

Now I need to try to get a jackstand under my car since the dumbass that drove it in the garage (me) forgot to drive up on my two 2x4. Think im going to have to jack it up with a few 2x4's on the jack under the rad support on my front end. All so I can drain the coolant and pull the water pump.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

When a O-ring is used for a while, it developes what is called a "squared" or out of round shape, causing it not to seal as it did when "new". It is always best to install a new one, because we all know, it is buried down deep.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Think a slighty bent lip on the crank pulley could make a loud ticking sound? was late at night and the pulley tool I borrowed from a friend's shop did not have a long enough bolt to get into my crank so I had to use the old bolt and a BIG hammer. There was one tiny litle indent on the rim, think I should try to bend it back out.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise after cam install