Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW high volume oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NEW high volume oil pump

I have been told by a somewhat knowledgeable friend that this GM performance part oil pump out-flows an LS6 pump. He said it has never been used in a production car, just sold as a performance or replacement part.

I am just a little sketch becasue all I hear about on here are the ported ls6 oil pumps. It is supposed to be a high flow pump of some sort.

Check it out: http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/4460...es-Engines.htm

Last edited by ninetres; 06-20-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 AM
9 Second Club

I just found ONE thread about this part. It lacked any sort of details. Anybody running one?

My friend also said there is no need to port, or buy a ported one because they flow just fine out-of-the-box.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a stock oil pan on an f-body, a ported and shimmed LS6 pump is likely pushing the limits of sucking the pan dry. Anything more such as this pump will need an aftermarket pan.

Jason
Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
On a stock oil pan on an f-body, a ported and shimmed LS6 pump is likely pushing the limits of sucking the pan dry. Anything more such as this pump will need an aftermarket pan.

Jason
Damn....so you heard it out flows a ported ls6????

****. SO much for saving $60 and going with this pump instead of an ls6. H/C swaps blow.....for my wallet at least.

Anyone else actually USE this?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninetres
Damn....so you heard it out flows a ported ls6????
If it's the same thing as the Melling Thunder sells, I wouldn't want to chance it on a stock 5.5 quart f-body pan. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=83 I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if this thing flows more then a ported LS6/stock pump.

Jason
Old 06-20-2006, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
If it's the same thing as the Melling Thunder sells, I wouldn't want to chance it on a stock 5.5 quart f-body pan. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=83 I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if this thing flows more then a ported LS6/stock pump.

Jason
Thanks for your help bro.

But I doubt thats the same one. I couldn't imagine thunder charging over twice as much for the same part.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Just got off the phone with an SDPC tech guy (answered immediatly by the way ).

He said it is a GM performace part and FINE to use with a stock oil pan....that is what it is designed for.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said it is a GM performace part and FINE to use with a stock oil pan....that is what it is designed for.
did you ask including that some ppl will use this oil pump mainly in operation between 5,500-7k?

i've thought about starving the motor for oil due to a pump that works TOO well...so it lead me to searching and reading that it's ok to run the f-bods 1 quart over full to ensure this doesn't happen? evidently some guys that road race (with corvettes, too) have been doing it for awhile. any other input?

sorry dude, not trying to hijack your thread!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
did you ask including that some ppl will use this oil pump mainly in operation between 5,500-7k?

i've thought about starving the motor for oil due to a pump that works TOO well...so it lead me to searching and reading that it's ok to run the f-bods 1 quart over full to ensure this doesn't happen? evidently some guys that road race (with corvettes, too) have been doing it for awhile. any other input?

sorry dude, not trying to hijack your thread!
I didn't specify the RPM band. I would just hate to spend another $70ish dollars for a ported ls6....when this one will do just fine.

We all know the nickel and dime stuff for a H/C swap really starts to add up.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

I didn't specify the RPM band. I would just hate to spend another $70ish dollars for a ported ls6....when this one will do just fine.

We all know the nickel and dime stuff for a H/C swap really starts to add up.

I've got a ported LS6 I can sell you for 70 shipped, was ported by alan futral. CAme out of my shortblock with 58k miles on the shortblock... 4 k on the pump. was making over 50 lbs at idle and a good bit over 60 full.

PM me if you'd like it.