Hydro-locked my car, have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydro-locked my car, have questions...

Yesterday was a very frustrating and sad day. I got caught up in the floods in my Camaro around the Champion Forest area. I guy in a big truck came driving by me while I was trying to get away from the rising water and he sent a nice big wake that hit my car. I'm not sure what the next step is. The mechanic told me that more than likely that the insurance company will total my car because they frown upon finding highperformance motors to put in cars. But he said sometimes they will let you upgrade to a newer motor. That confused the heck out of me either they frown upon high performance motors or they get you a new one? Anyway, I am also wanting to get my headers and airlid and intake off of the motor if they decide to total it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next. The adjuster is supposed to be out there today to overlook the car and decide on what they want to do. Should I be present for this? I just need some pointers. Also, how do you know when a car is hydro-locked? My understanding is that you shouldn't be able to turn the crank. Is there any physical signs that I can look for? Will there be water in my oil? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

you should hope it gets totaled and get an frc vette or a z06,
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

You have all the rights. You can do whatever you WANT to do with your car and you SHOULD NEVER take the first offer they give you, trust me on that. The more reciepts you produce, pictures your provide and the more bitching you do the more money you will ultimately get.

Car is totaled?
Option 1: Car is totaled you can buy the car back from the insurance company.
Option 2: Car is totaled you can just take the money (adjusted for added value)
Option 3: Car is totaled but they let you take all your stuff off the car
Option 4: Car is totaled, the adjuster takes you behind the woodsheed and spanks you giving you average value for your car which will be low
Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say just buy the car back and fix it yourself. When my mom's car was hydro locked we just pulled the plugs and sprayed a quick blast of WD40 in each cylinder. We changed the oil, filter, air filter and flushed the transmission. Then we replaced the plugs and it started right up.Your computer should be fine as I believe it is sealed an I know the plugs going to it are water tight. You will need to pull the interior too and vacuum as much water as you can out of the joot under the carpet. That **** will stink if it stays wet.

Hope it all works out and let us know what happens.

p.s.-sorry to hear about the car.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

buy the car back and drop in a stroker
Old 06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

remove the spark plugs, crank the engine (if it still turns). DO NOT try and start it with the spark plugs in it, it will bend the valves and rods.

If water shoots out the plug holes, and the engine turns, just spray some oil in the plug holes and put the plugs back in. Change the oil and filter immediately. Listen for any weird noises while it is running.

If the engine doesn't turn with the plugs removed, its busted internally. time for a new engine.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Yes do as Nine Ball said, then if the engine is somewhat fine and they decide to total your car you cant fight it and say its worth more with the engine, if they try to say the engine is not covered then you should take your engine out and drop a busted LS1 in there (since thats what would be covered).

If the engine does not rotate with the plugs removed, buy some Marvel Mystery Oil and spray it into the cylinders, let it sit overnight... Had a friend unseize a few motors by just using this stuff. (believe he also put some in the oil pans).

Dont listen to me though.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I forgot the part where we cranked the motor with the plugs out to pump the water out of the cylinders! Very important.....
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Thank y'all for all of your support! The claims agent is going to tell me what I am going to be able to do tomorrow. The engine is locked. It won't budge at all. I'm guessing that I broke/bent a rod. All I have to pay is a $500 deductible and hopefully get a new motor. There might be something in the works already
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

when the guy shows up to ur house, look all sad n' ****, start talking about all your problems. tell you lost u buddy in the rain. make 'em feel sorry for you maybe he'll give u more $$$
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401
when the guy shows up to ur house, look all sad n' ****, start talking about all your problems. tell you lost u buddy in the rain. make 'em feel sorry for you maybe he'll give u more $$$
"He fell into the bayou, he was right there, I just couldnt reach him. I watched him float away and now he's gone, left 4 kids and a pregnant wife behind....I tried to save him, I just couldnt...anyway, Im sorry for rambling...about the car"