Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Was it a stock GTP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Was it a stock GTP?

From a 40 roll, i was in third gear (4.10 gears). Saw a GTP coming up. He blew by and had a 2 car lead by the time I hit it. Took it almost through fourth, maybe 120, But only had about 3 cars on him by then. Slowed down and pulled up next to him like asking WTF he had. He said "supercharger". I replied, "yes, I know, but It cant be stock, is it pullied or something?" He replied "no, its stock." And he had a passenger with him too.

This dude definately made me work for the win. He stood up better than most of the lightly modded STIs and EVO8's around here, which should both eat a GTP alive. Kid seemed like a cool kid and we exchanged props, but he's gotta be full of **** about being stock...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
From a 40 roll, i was in third gear (4.10 gears). Saw a GTP coming up. He blew by and had a 2 car lead by the time I hit it. Took it almost through fourth, maybe 120, But only had about 3 cars on him by then. Slowed down and pulled up next to him like asking WTF he had. He said "supercharger". I replied, "yes, I know, but It cant be stock, is it pullied or something?" He replied "no, its stock." And he had a passenger with him too.

This dude definately made me work for the win. He stood up better than most of the lightly modded STIs and EVO8's around here, which should both eat a GTP alive. Kid seemed like a cool kid and we exchanged props, but he's gotta be full of **** about being stock...

If he blew by you, how do you know he didn't have like a 20-30 mph jump on you? Do you understand how hard it is to even pass a slow car that has the momentum on you?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LSINA7
If he blew by you, how do you know he didn't have like a 20-30 mph jump on you? Do you understand how hard it is to even pass a slow car that has the momentum on you?
Yes, he blew by me at a good 20+ mph faster than me. He was about 2 full cars ahead by the time I stopped his pull. I understand he had momentum, but i dont usually have to work that hard to catch a car with half the RWHP.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Momentum is crazy, im about = to an LS1 Z28 and one had 5-10mph momentum on me and I never did come CLOSE to catching him. I realize you were more superior to him than I to the Z, but still, momentum is a LOT!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

For instance, my good buddy has a lightly modded base wrx. I would bet the wrx would be neck and neck with a GTP, minus maybe the roots blower's low end grunt, which should be offset by the wrx's AWD launch. But I digress, neith of those issues even apply here anyway. Basically, this GTP would have smoked the WRX for sure, as my buddies scoobie cant hold me off like this guy did.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSINA7
Old 06-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 12 second FD, and had trouble passing a 15 second Honda Accord that had started behind me. I saw him, looked down, and when I looked back in the mirror he had vanished, and I heard him fly by me. He was 4 or 5 cars in front of me before I started, and pulled probably 8 or 9, and it took me to 120 to catch up. This was starting at 45 mph... Momentum is nuts. That is why people would rather negotiate the kick instead of a car length in racing.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

Yeah, had the same thing happen to me when I was behind a car that was turning left and a new Impala SS (LS4) blew around me as the car turned left and I tried so go, "Ich no think so.." and I never caught him, so it happens.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy

Is it me? or am I the only one that sees this guy has an 11 sec car. Is the momentum that dam great? Physics is a trip sometimes...
Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Is it me? or am I the only one that sees this guy has an 11 sec car. Is the momentum that dam great? Physics is a trip sometimes...
I just wrote I had a 12 sec. car and had trouble catching up to a Honda Accord that ran a 15.87.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it almost def. wasnt stock! i have a 99, with a cai, 3.5pulley and 3" down pipe and small exhaust work, and can just BARELY beat 4.6L mustangs and i mean barely....and with stock, well lets just say i was probably missing a good 50-70HP. which is good for catchin maybe grocery carts. It is true with the momentum, it does still FEEL like a heavy car too but once you get it going, it goes!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

high 14s are normal for stock GTPs.

mid to low 13's with minimal modding. exhaust/smaller pulley/intake/tune they still trap like crap but they got alot of downlow grunt
Old 06-22-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Freaking cars are fast man. I remember I raced one, and I won...BUT I could not get him out of my mirror. One sneeze and he would have killed me for sure...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

I never run people when they blow by me, it takes alot to make up even a 10mph lead, one time I had this M3 do that and I couldnt pass his *** till like 140, then i ran him strait up and walked his *** like he wasnt moving, it makes a BIG difference.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

intense racing has a 9 second Grand prix. and their are a few 11 second GPs running around.

its so easy since around 2004 with cartuning turbo kit and the statama kit. to take a high 15 second grand Prix NA v6 and turn it into a mid 12s car for only 3 grand.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

The !girlfriend mod is worth about .2 tenths maybe .4 if you got yourself a fatty
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
I never run people when they blow by me, it takes alot to make up even a 10mph lead, one time I had this M3 do that and I couldnt pass his *** till like 140, then i ran him strait up and walked his *** like he wasnt moving, it makes a BIG difference.

Exactly. If people wanna play that game I let them race themselves. They want a real race, pace me and lets do it right.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Electric
Exactly. If people wanna play that game I let them race themselves. They want a real race, pace me and lets do it right.
I agree, taking off flying by is a soar loser in my opinion. That's like saying get ready go and I have 10 feet on you and we race to touch the car. All soar losers, hehe. They never like to lose.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, in his defence, he probably heard me down shift and thought i was taking the jump from 2 cars ahead. True duals with rear cutouts, cam and compression maked for a very loud engine, especially when you start to bring the revs up.

No matter, makes me all the happier hearing how difficult you all describe passing a car with a speed advantage. A win is a win, by car lengths or by trainlengths.