Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fried PCM???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried PCM???

Not sure if this is in the right forum. I had a complete PCM tune done after I installed my stroker motor. It ran fine for about a year. A couple of months ago I was changing my water pump when the torque wrench slipped and arced between the battery terminal and the block. The spark was so hot that it burned a hole into my Snap-On torque wrench. I turned the car back on and my radio had gone into security mode and the car ran like did before the tune (crappy!). The tuner said that it shouldn't have messed up the PCM, but I'm not sure mine survived. It also all of the sudden won't pass smog (it blew clean after the tune), and my SES light won't come on, even with a burnt out cat. Now it runs like crap, has a serious loss of power, and it sounds horrible, almost like it is way out of timing. Did that shock kill my PCM? Or does it just need a quick tune up? I'm lost. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Teching In

The only thing I could help you with is to remind you to always disconnect your battery before modding so this won't happen. While I know most may think that it's an extra step and not needed normally, I've screwed up many a car taking a shortcut there...
Old 06-21-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shouldn't affect your tune - I'd think it would blow a fuse somewhere first.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I burned mine up welding in it.