Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone mash together headgaskets like import guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone mash together headgaskets like import guys?

i had a friend with an rsx that actually had a half inch spacer between his heads and block to lower compression, and many other friends with at least 2 headgaskets together, do ls1 guys ever do this?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would guess no because the inline 4 cylinders don't have to worry about the intake manifold lining up with the heads...It's like have a taller decked block if you did it too much and then you'd have to then have a special manifold created or fab one up...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you are not referring to the Hondata (or copycat) gasket between the IM and head? They are about a 1/4" thick and a polymer material.

They are supposividly proven to lower Intake temperatures.

I had one on my old prelude. Not sure about gasket stacking though. Sounds leaky to me.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

between his heads and block to lower compression
Both are valid ways to lower compression, but you run the risk in most motors, especially 2-valve heads, of ruining the 'squish' or 'quench' characteristics of the head when you do that. You could be running great at 9.2:1, then add another head gasket, have lower compression - now down to like 8.7:1, but have more detonation because there's very little squish(quench). 4-valve heads usually use a 'squish ring' around the outside of the piston or head, or both.

I like the term squish better, but when talking about piston engines they both refer to the same thing. In a modern Chevy motor, both the piston and the head have some areas that are flat. In the most modern motors, the flat areas on the combustion side of the head have their patterns matched on the tops of their pistons. When the piston moves up in the compression stroke, these flats areas are specc'd to come within .058" - .035" with steel rods and forged pistons. The gasses stuck between the 2 flat areas are "squished" out into the combustion chamber, tumbling and very fast. The squished mixture meeting the induction mixture swirl like crazy when they meet, and help even out the mixture throughout the chamber, which leads to better combustion and less tendency to detonate.

This is why you don't see serious people solving their compression problem with double gaskets, you see them lower the compression properly through dished pistons, or changing to larger chamber heads, or using meth or putting on a big FMIC to keep combustion temps down.

Don't mess with the quench areas.

Jim
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

id do it in the pistons and heads! easier safer and tried and tested! dont get me worng the Honda thing works, and i have seen it used on other motors to (not sure if they are using new longer liners, or running the piston into the plate area thoguh!!).

you would have to think about push rods to!

thanks Chris.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

cometic offers difference thickness gaskets which will accomplish a lower compression ratio.
they offer thicknesses from .054" to .125"
i have .067"
stock is .057" (i think)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its actually very common with turbo buick guys. Some go to three stacked on each side. Funny to me because its deffinately a tried and true method.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

hang on gasket is not as strong as liner and block. so why are people using gaskets (weak) to redyuce compresion when a set of forged (strong) pistons would get the same results and be safer?????

Chris.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

I would imagine you would have a leaky head gaskets if you did something like this!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuntington101
hang on gasket is not as strong as liner and block. so why are people using gaskets (weak) to redyuce compresion when a set of forged (strong) pistons would get the same results and be safer?????
if only taking ur engine apart and buying pistons was as cheap as headgaskets
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
if only taking ur engine apart and buying pistons was as cheap as headgaskets

i had to laugh at this one

Quick Reply: Anyone mash together headgaskets like import guys?