Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Post turbo oil reservoir questions

Old 06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post turbo oil reservoir questions

Can someone tell me the reasons an oil collector should be incorporated after the turbo before the oil is returned to the engine?

I gather it prevents some smoking, and possibly defoams the oil, but does it do anything beyond that? I cannot find anyone that sells these (unless it is called something else), which is cool because I can make one but I would like to know what to shoot for during contruction, if I need one at all.

Do you need one if you are going to go gravity drain? How about if you need to use a pump because gravity drain is not an option?

I have searched all over but there are only oblique references to these and their function.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

im going to be making a resevoir this weekend for my setup, mainly because i run a scavenge pump.

If you have a gravity drain and a straight shot to the pan, you should consider just running a small restricor if you have smoke and make sure your drain is clean.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping King
im going to be making a resevoir this weekend for my setup, mainly because i run a scavenge pump.

If you have a gravity drain and a straight shot to the pan, you should consider just running a small restricor if you have smoke and make sure your drain is clean.
I'll be running a pump as well. What are you making your resevoir out of? Steel pipe and some fittings?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2.5 inch exhaust pipe with two pieces of 18 guage steel on the opposing sides. Then im going to add a drain on one side and an inlet on the other. A vent tube will also extend as hi as possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post turbo oil reservoir questions