Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would a turbo cause a ringing sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would a turbo cause a ringing sound?

I've only driven the car 3 times since it was actually driveable. When I first start the car, there's an audible ringing noise. Sounds *almost* like a bad tensioner, but I don't believe that to be the culprit from listening. The ringing is RPM dependant. Once the car warms up for a minute or two, the ringing at idle goes away, but comes back from 1500-~2250ish. Once the car is fully warm it almost goes away completely unless I downshift on decel bringing the RPMs back up...it'll ring some more. No smoke at all, no boost yet. Would anything about the turbo cause a high pitched ringing?

Just got back from a good long drive, temps got to 220 but the fan took care of that, thank GOD! Otherwise the car performed fine
Old 06-24-2006, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My charge pipe would resonate and do the same type of thing, verify that isn't what it is. Could be on the exhaust side too if you used a clamp-style to hook the pieces together. Something is expanding, but resonates at certain rpms. My charge pipe would do it on my rear mount because it's one big long piece from the back of the car to the intercooler.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHoa! first check your clamps and see if any fell. I had the same problem but it was my turbo. The impeller was rubbing the housing and I have a rear mount It was that loud! I had just got it dynoed tune and It took a **** on me down the road. But it was replaced by billy and Dustin at TRT they drove 3 hours to my house and put it on in my car in my drive way. Talke about customer service!!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
WHoa! first check your clamps and see if any fell. I had the same problem but it was my turbo. The impeller was rubbing the housing and I have a rear mount It was that loud! I had just got it dynoed tune and It took a **** on me down the road. But it was replaced by billy and Dustin at TRT they drove 3 hours to my house and put it on in my car in my drive way. Talke about customer service!!!!
It might not be the turbo, my serpentine belt has a tendency to kick itself off by a rib or two on the power steering pulley only, for some reason. Learned a pretty good lesson tonight. Don't leave home without extra belts. Sat for almost an hour in a dark neighborhood trying to get mine back on, while burning my fingers on the radiator hoses and turbo itself, and leaving blister stripes down my arm from rubbin against the top corner of the radiator. Going to get a different brand belt and see what that does with the noise...otherwise I guess I'm going to end up dropping the turbo, and sending it to Jose or somewhere to inspect it and replace what's necessary. I filled out precisions "warranty card"...think they would do anything if it is the turbo?

Burnt and pissed,
Matt
Old 06-25-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Don't be too pissed, I lost a belt second time I went out with my car and it left me stranded.

Also it seems like it should be pretty easy to drop your turbo and check things out, just to be on the safe side. Turbo housings are real easy to take off.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Don't be too pissed, I lost a belt second time I went out with my car and it left me stranded.

Also it seems like it should be pretty easy to drop your turbo and check things out, just to be on the safe side. Turbo housings are real easy to take off.
Backup belt, long heat resistant gloves too! Both necessities from here on out. The turbo sounds like it would be easy, but no, two of the bolts for the actual flange on the turbo are hard as ***** to get out. I use a ratchet wrench and have to do it one click at a time Whatever it takes, I guess. What do you think I should do about this belt situation? Is there anyway I can space out the power steering pulley? Might have to talk to smokinhawk about the alternator relocation, but I don't think that's the culprit for the belt.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

Well im not sure how your turbos are mounted but if you can take off the intake side and spin it with your finger you should see if its bad. Or see if the impeller has any play in it. Mines never burnd oil or nothing just had these little sprinkles of metal on the housing. I think jose at forcinductions .com deals with the style turbo you have very good guy with help and service maby he will chime in

good luck
Old 06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tim, I knew you would "chime" in with your personal experience.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Well im not sure how your turbos are mounted but if you can take off the intake side and spin it with your finger you should see if its bad. Or see if the impeller has any play in it. Mines never burnd oil or nothing just had these little sprinkles of metal on the housing. I think jose at forcinductions .com deals with the style turbo you have very good guy with help and service maby he will chime in

good luck
Do you mean take off my filter and spin the wheel a little to check for play, or take off the whole compressor side? Not quite comfortable disassembling this thing. If it was the turbo, would I have some indication by spinning the wheel, or would a bearing in the turbo (?) be noticeable by hand spinning?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Tim, I knew you would "chime" in with your personal experience.
Yeah I try LOL Im up and coming in the FI world 38 more days!!!!

I need a new intercooler the top of mine is smashed a little from the fight I lost with the silverado
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WestSide
Do you mean take off my filter and spin the wheel a little to check for play, or take off the whole compressor side? Not quite comfortable disassembling this thing. If it was the turbo, would I have some indication by spinning the wheel, or would a bearing in the turbo (?) be noticeable by hand spinning?

No if you can take off the air filter you can see the intake side. Try to see if the impeller has been hitting the housing ie metal flakes or bright or polish crapes on the in side. But to be honest you need to check bot sides meaning you have to take off the exhaust side If you can just remove the pipe from the turbo away so you can see and touch the impeller that would work. From what I understand a little play is alot and could be bad that thing spins at 100k so the slightest little mispaly can affect it Hpoe this helps, I was scared to death to even touch the turbo system on my car but its the only way to learn
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. As I sit thinking about the belt shredding incident a few nights ago...I heard the turbo ringing problem. The belt flipped off of the pulleys, the ringing stopped (I didn't notice it really, watched my check gauges light flip on). I took what's left of the belt off just now (all 5 ribs of it) and fired the car up, no noise whatsoever. Thank God I didn't take the turbo assembly off yet. Woohoo! Now I just need to figure out why my belt comes off a rib or two on the power steering pulley.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

tiny misalignment. my TTI kit would always shred the first rib....but the belt would last forever after that....it never came any further off but took the first rib off 2 belts so i just left it
Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Good to hear there is an alinement tool people use not sure where to get it from. When I put my motor back together I notice that the belt would hit the very edge of the balancer pulley. it was just a little bit, But i left the belt on and took off the bolt and tap it untill it was flush on the belt. Then I put a new bolt in and the belt lined up good. just my 0.02$

Quick Reply: Would a turbo cause a ringing sound?