Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Damn! Need more mods... STi

Old 06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Damn! Need more mods... STi

On the way back from the shops ran into a Impreza STi. We played for a bit while we got thru a speed restricted zone.

Anyhow we went from 60-140mph+, due to the road he was infront of me so I had to wait for him to hit it first. Anyhow he pulled slowly about a 15 feet gap upto about 90 then I pulled it back slowly.

By 140mph he seemed out and had the road permitted I could have strolled by no problem.

Guess I'll have to call it a draw

It looked nice it was a 05 black STi and had the pink Prodrive badges on it, so it must have had all the UK go fast bits on it. Looked like it had an exhaust also and I'd guess a few other mods also.

Was fun, but def need more mods
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what gear & which mods do you currently have? I haven't got to run a newer STI just WRX's & the older body style Suberus, no contest
Old 06-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn workshy, nice car. It looks very clean. I like that color with those rims.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:15 PM
jic
Staging Lane

gotta own them subbys
Old 06-25-2006, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z 2 8
Damn workshy, nice car. It looks very clean. I like that color with those rims.
+1 Very Nice!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big ole weiner hole subies............
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

good run, those STIs really do move quick. Go even faster cheap too!
A draw is good enough reason to mod
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by multiplicityZ
i took an 03 STi w/ a cat-back only at the track a last night. it was a test and tune night (kinda), just running heads up, we didnt get any time slips, so i dont know if he messed up his launch or what, i had him well before the 1/8 mile track, and proceeded to embarrass him by the end of the 1/4.

the newer ones are faster tho if im not mistaken right?

your not far off from him.
Well, there are no 03 ones but there are no different power numbers in all STi's. A stock STi run low to mid 8's in the 1/8 if they are driven correctly FWIW though.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WORKSHY
From what gear & which mods do you currently have? I haven't got to run a newer STI just WRX's & the older body style Suberus, no contest
I'm a 2.73 auto, so 60mph is 2nd gear but a bit of a dead spot, 70mph would have been much better.

Car's basically stock at present, just a catback really and a crappy "euro" spec tune which means as stock I have less power than a US LS1

Still, once I finished rebuilding my Land Rover all funs will be going into the z/28.

I raced a STi before an pretty much walked him, I would guess that this one had more done than just an exhaust, although I think in stock trim he would have had about 330bhp with the Prodrive options anyhow, so he could easily have had 350-370bhp under the bonnet.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I'm a 2.73 auto, so 60mph is 2nd gear but a bit of a dead spot, 70mph would have been much better.

Car's basically stock at present, just a catback really and a crappy "euro" spec tune which means as stock I have less power than a US LS1

Still, once I finished rebuilding my Land Rover all funs will be going into the z/28.

I raced a STi before an pretty much walked him, I would guess that this one had more done than just an exhaust, although I think in stock trim he would have had about 330bhp with the Prodrive options anyhow, so he could easily have had 350-370bhp under the bonnet.
US spec and EURO/Japanese STi's are different. The US version is pretty much worse in general FWIW.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

US gets 2.5 litre whereas UK is only 2.0 litre but we do get all the Prodrive goodies which aren't available else where.

Prodrive are a British company and they run/build Subura's WRC rally cars.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

US gets 2.5 litre whereas UK is only 2.0 litre but we do get all the Prodrive goodies which aren't available else where.

The non-US spec ones handle worse due to more weight and a slower steering rack. I also believe that the non-US one has a multi-link rear as opposed to the single link w/ strut. The 2.0 liter in the UK/JAP ones have a larger turbo making it much easier to mod (I think at least).

I envy those across the ponds
Old 06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Anyhow we went from 60-140mph+, due to the road he was infront of me so I had to wait for him to hit it first. Anyhow he pulled slowly about a 15 feet gap upto about 90 then I pulled it back slowly.

By 140mph he seemed out and had the road permitted I could have strolled by no problem.

Actually, it probably wasn't a draw, if you started behind him at 60 you already had an advantange becasue of the draft. At 90 you have an even bigger advantage, thats why you began to pull him back. Drafting is huge, I have been passed by nearly stock 600cc bikes drafting me on my race prepped 750 on the front straight of a few race tracks.

Side by side, based on your account, you probably wouldnt have pulld back an inch. But nothing a few well thought out mods wont fix...and then some.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CTSVSL65AMG

Actually, it probably wasn't a draw, if you started behind him at 60 you already had an advantange becasue of the draft. At 90 you have an even bigger advantage, thats why you began to pull him back. Drafting is huge, I have been passed by nearly stock 600cc bikes drafting me on my race prepped 750 on the front straight of a few race tracks.

Side by side, based on your account, you probably wouldnt have pulld back an inch. But nothing a few well thought out mods wont fix...and then some.
Drafting is an issue, but having already toyed earlier and the speed advantage I had at 140mph even by dropping back and moving over to the other side of the road I'd say it had little affect.

Plus I was probably 3 good car lengths behind him when we went from 60mph.

But yah more mods

h/c/i + nitrous!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

The Prodrive stuff comes stock/standard on U.K. spec STIs?? Or is it a dealer option? If I had one here I would opt for the Prodrive ceramic coated WRC spec exhaust system, instead of the fart cannon everyone here seems to get. I would also bring in all of the other Prodrive mods (if they could even work on/be adapted to the 2.5s).
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
The Prodrive stuff comes stock/standard on U.K. spec STIs?? Or is it a dealer option? If I had one here I would opt for the Prodrive ceramic coated WRC spec exhaust system, instead of the fart cannon everyone here seems to get. I would also bring in all of the other Prodrive mods (if they could even work on/be adapted to the 2.5s).
I'm not sure of the exact options.

But it used to be (a couple of years back)

WRX - normal turbo model
STi - more power, different suspension, geasrbox and I think the engine is largly different
STi with Prodrive upgrade - Like regular STi just more.

All came from the dealer FULL warrnaty. I guess the Prodrive equiped one was actually done in this country. In Japan they have R badged Impreza's or something like that, we don't get those ones.

Dealers also sell aftermarket performance parts. But WRC parts are for WRC use and very expensive, you won't see many people running any of those parts on the street.

But to be fair the WRC cars are not Impreza's really. I think the block itself if actually different. It def is for the Ralliart prepared Evo's.

Grounp N rally car bits are available though.

Prodrive actually built their own car recently using Impreza parts as a basis. It was an "engineering showcase" and not intended for produciton.

On a race circuit it was substantially quicker than the Evo FQ400 even though the Prodrive had 60bhp less.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Well, there are no 03 ones but there are no different power numbers in all STi's. A stock STi run low to mid 8's in the 1/8 if they are driven correctly FWIW though.
Low to mid 8s wow the best i have seen is high 8s out of stis around here and those are lightly modded ones . They run with the srt4s and they are not low to mid 8 cars either except maybe the stg3 . the average stock sti is a low 9 to high 8 sec car in the 1/8 dtiven correctly.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Dealers also sell aftermarket performance parts. But WRC parts are for WRC use and very expensive, you won't see many people running any of those parts on the street.

But to be fair the WRC cars are not Impreza's really. I think the block itself if actually different. It def is for the Ralliart prepared Evo's.

Grounp N rally car bits are available though.

Prodrive actually built their own car recently using Impreza parts as a basis. It was an "engineering showcase" and not intended for produciton.

On a race circuit it was substantially quicker than the Evo FQ400 even though the Prodrive had 60bhp less.
Mr. Richards will not even sell me the WRC catback?? That's f'ed up! They will part with the Grp. N system though, right? That P2 project coupe is real sick though. They should put that into production, homologate it, and use it for their next WRC car!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

Well YES you can buy WRC bits, but probably not the latest spec. Many people privatley campaign WRC cars in events outside the Championship as well as with in it.

Cost is you major downer though.

A rear bumper alone would set you back in the region of $7000 so imagine what an exhaust would cost.

Plus WRC engines are usually built with a rebuild scedule of every 600miles or so.

A WRC Focus (~2003) would produce in the region of 650bhp and 650lb ft from a 2.0 litre 16 valve turbo without the restrictors in places and I think most of the power is available from about 3000rpm also. I'm sure the Subaru engine would be similar.

Search this Thread