Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun main bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun main bearings

I have a 6.0l iron bloke that has two spun main bearings. The problem is that one of them was the #3 thrust bearing. When it spun one side of the bearing wore a grove in the block sadle and and the cap. I'm wondering if there's any way to fix the grove? Or is the block now just a big paper weight?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take it to the machine shop and they can line bore it and basically put a set of oversized OD bearings in the motor. Now how available they are or cheap I don't know, but it can be done. It is gonna cost you about $200 just to line bore the block then the cost of your bearings. You might be just as far ahead to look for another block unless there is something about this block that you want to reuse.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can find another block almost at the cost of a line bore. You just have to look for it.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The line bore wont fix the grove that the thrust bearing wore into the side of the bearing sadle though. It wore a ring around the side of the main bearing sadle not just the face of it where the bearing sits. Looks like I need to be searching for a new block.

Quick Reply: Spun main bearings