Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Another shifter question (shortest)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another shifter question (shortest)

Well to make a long story short I bought my corvette used 6 months ago from a dealer. I wanted to make my shifter throw as short as posible so I hunted down a used B&M Ripper wanted a used one because I have read new they are really tight when new it is my toy so maybe drive 4000 mile a year didn`t want to deal with break in.
I pull the console off and to my surprise I find the car already has a HURST short throw shifter in it. My B&M ripper should be here Mon/Tues now the big question is the throw difference noticealbe between the Hurst and the B&M.

I have read alot of threads about the 2 different shiffters but it seems. There hasn`t been a clear line drawn between the two in the difference in throw shortness. Would love to hear from somebody with hands on the both of them. To me the HURST feels a bit sloppy however it is pretty smooth for that reason I was thinking it was the stock shifter. When I purchased the car it had only 9000 miles it now has 12000 so I have put 3000 miles of this shifter.

I have been reading advertisements saying the hurst gives you a 35% shorter throw and read B&M gives you a 25% shorter throw confused. I have read B&M tends to rattle a bit but is it the shorter throw and stiffer.

Thanks Just looking for info before I tear the gasket removing the Hurst.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Do to lack of replys I have removed the Hurst and installed the B&M and here are my thoughts on a dry run. (PCM being updated for bigger injectors so car not running till Thurs.) Holiday weekend tune may be 2wks away"DAMM"

I find no real difference in the two with the exception that the B&M is a bit stiffer than the HURST. Both have a kind of a sloppy feel to them I think this may be from the ball cap at the bottom of the shifter. The B&M I bought was supposed to be hardley used and this may account for its stiffness. The height of the shifters are equal from base to top of shaft. At the base they are damm near an identical match except for bolt type(recessed/surface) and anno along with shafts are slightly different. I can still feel the flat spots between gears and won`t know for sure until I get the PCM back and my dyno tune done so I can slamm it. With the Hurst I did not really feel much of a flat spot between gears under load so I am expecting the same from the B&M.

I wouldn`t be surprised if the same company made the shifter and each just wanted its own color and shaft. That is how identical these are to ME!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the difference between my Hurst and the stocker was INSANE, this hurst is the shortest throw manual transmission I've ever seen, if it seems like a long throw to you what were you driving before?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

Due to the wife and kids I have been out of the hot-rodding seen for about 15 years. My brother and I used run the old m-22 that where done up real nice, atleast they felt that way many moons ago. I have a friend who has a 65vette passed down from his father and that is the shortest thing I have payed with. I am having a hard time adjusting to all the new fuel injection equipment. Drove that 2 weeks ago as he followed me in mine. I am kind of old school when it comes to hot rodding,"big motor,big compression,big rear. So I am here on the forums trying to learn all I can.

Quick Reply: Another shifter question (shortest)