Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes a transcooler with high pressure fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a transcooler with high pressure fittings?

I blew 2 High pressure hoses in the last month. One clamp/hose failed and the new line ruptured today. Good thing both times happened under normal driving conditions and not at the track.

Just wondering what people do to run a braided line setup to the trans cooler. My trans cooler right now has a barbed style hose fitting on it now. I am not sure how I could convert that into a A/N setup without getting new cooler.

Thanks for your time,
Paul
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are several B&M Super coolers that have 1/2" NPT inlets and outlets. Just get one of those and run AN fittings and stainless steel braided lines and an fittings instead of the brass barb fittings and rubber hose.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
There are several B&M Super coolers that have 1/2" NPT inlets and outlets. Just get one of those and run AN fittings and stainless steel braided lines and an fittings instead of the brass barb fittings and rubber hose.
This is the way to go. I believe Jegs and Summit sell kits that have the cooler and the AN fittings with braided hose, its a little expensive but once done it looks killer, works great, and no more leaks.
My TH400 setup came with this cooler and braided lines and I love it.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

i use a B&M supercooler with 1/2NPT to -6 fittings, adn another 3/8NPT to -6 on the trans to make it all fit
Old 06-26-2006, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

interesting. Now unless my trans cooling system is somehow different than yours in terms of operating pressure, my trans cooler lines only operate at around 17-20psi.

that being said, Nothing like using Parker Push-Lok hose. No clamps needed
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds to me like the real question is why do you have so much backpressure in your cooler system????
There is no way you would be blowing that hose unless you have an obstruction that allows the pressure to build outside of the design perameters.
IMHO you need to investigate and find the obstructed item. could be the cooler itself? I would be looking at the hoses also. I would start by finding a mid point in the system and blowing it out with compressed air you could get real fancy and use a pressure gage if you wanted. blow through each half and divide and conquor untill you isolate the obstruction. I would look at that before spending on a high pressure system. Not to mention the obstruction is reducing the flow allowing less cooling
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the ideas I will probably order up a B&M. I will check for restrictions, but it cools off when it gets warm so I am thinking that isn't the case. The first time it happened the clamp cut into the hose and I think over time it finally wore through, so I replaced all rubber lines with new ones that may have not been the quality that came with the cooler.

My setup right now I bypass the radiator and run it right through the cooler. Good part is it cools off faster when hot, bad part about this setup is that it takes so long to warm the trans up. Seems that if it is anything below 150 it will bounce of the rev before it shifts. The trans hard cooler lines where cut near the radiator when the trans cooler was put in so I only have a short run to the cooler that would actually be braided line.

Not sure how much PSI is in the system, but 17-20 psi doesn't sound like much at all so I am thinking it was a hose quality issue the second time around. Just is scary running down the track or on the street and if it would ever blow again. I am just after a more dependable system and take the rubber lines out of the system all together. Figure there is a reason car makers run steel lines from the trans to the raditators and not rubber.

Last edited by speedo; 06-26-2006 at 12:06 PM.