Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynotuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynotuning

This coming weekend I will be installing my Longtube headers and an ORY. I am fairly new with this whole tuning scene so I thought I might be inclined to take the car to get dynotuned, but Im not sure about the pro's and con's. Some people say its a ripoff(searchin through threads) while other's feel it is a must. How much power will I be picking up with the Dynotune and I called for a price and was told a flat fee of $400, is that a good deal? Is it worth it only with LT's and an ORY ? I dont want to throw away 400 bucks and pick up only 5 HP, or something minimal like that.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet since you have no mods now and I assume wont have any major mods soon would be to learn to tune yourself and buy one of the tuner software packages with a wideband oxygen sensor. It is well worth it in the long run and since you dont have mods now that, gives you plenty of time to learn it.

IMO dynotunes are kinda a rip off, sometimes they dont give it a proper closed loop tune, some just change the PE table to get the desired AF ratio.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends, like any profession, someone has an appointment at 9:00 AM with the worst Dr. in the world and won't get their moneys worth. On the other hand, someone has such an appointment with the best dynotuner in the world and will get more then their money's worth. Now mix in customer perception and realizm and it depends even more. Best answer I can give.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaGeneral
This coming weekend I will be installing my Longtube headers and an ORY. I am fairly new with this whole tuning scene so I thought I might be inclined to take the car to get dynotuned, but Im not sure about the pro's and con's. Some people say its a ripoff(searchin through threads) while other's feel it is a must. How much power will I be picking up with the Dynotune and I called for a price and was told a flat fee of $400, is that a good deal? Is it worth it only with LT's and an ORY ? I dont want to throw away 400 bucks and pick up only 5 HP, or something minimal like that.
Just be aware of what you are getting. Dyno tune does not equal a full tune in most cases even though they will charge you like it does. Most dyno tunes consist of tweak the A/F and timing at WOT. Most dyno tunes do NOT address re-calbrating the entire VE and MAF tables. $400 for a full tune would be a very good deal. $400 for WOT only is a rip-off especially for something as trivial as your setup. Some "high profile" tuners continue to operate this way and it amazes me how many people don't know what they aren't getting.

Tim
Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't waste your money. You will not get $400 worth of work on your calibration in just a few minutes.
If you want to spend $400 then get yourself a good wideband and see where you're at on your own.