Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Code - P1336

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble Code - P1336

As it says, this trouble code just showed up out of nowhere tonight when i got out of the movies with my girlfriend.... P1336 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) System Variation Not Learned. What does this mean, and what do i do to fix it??

I'm wondering if its just a sensor gone bad... The car is running fine without it... If its one of those things that can just be tuned out, then i'll probably do that.. if its a bad sensor, the only thing i can find relating to it is the Crankshaft position sensor... which is liek $75.... although, that sounds important - not somethign i want the car to be running wihtout... but i'm not sure either wish i knew more about this ****

any help is appreciated.! thanks guys!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all that needs to be done is to have a crankshaft position relearn performed. you will get this code if the computer has been changed and the relearn was not done. basically the relearn consists of getting a scan tool that has the capability to do the relearn, getting to the screen in the scan tool and it will tell you to put the vehicle in park or neutral with your foot on the brake and the parking brake on to accelerate to full throttle and release the gas when the fuel cutoff (revlimiter) is reached.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Launching!

thats lame. i wouldn't want to rev freewheel my engine to the revlimiter.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, here's the instructions using HPTuners I believe:

Open the scanner, pick displays, VCM controls:

CASE Learn: To use the CASE learn function please follow these steps:

1. Put the vehicle into park (auto) or neutral (manual).
2. Turn off all accessories and A/C.
3. Apply the parking brake.
4. Press the brake pedal. Keep the brake pedal depressed during the entire procedure.
5. Press Begin.
6. Gradually rev the vehicle to fuel cutoff (around 4000-5000 RPM's) over a period of about 4 seconds. When fuel cuts out, immediately release the throttle.
7. Allow the engine to come back to an idle.
8. Turn the ignition off for at least 15 seconds. This step is required for the VCM to store the newly learned configuration.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

wow, that sucks, b/c i dont know anyone with HP tuners or anythign like that...

and is that normal that it has come on after so many miles (about 2K since the cam swap / computer tune)
Old 06-25-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's normal, but it certainly isn't out of the ordinary. A lot of people get the code, get the crank relearn, and they're fine. That's the only way that's gonna get fixed though, through tuning software.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

damn.... looks like i could be screwed then... b/c i got my copmuter tuned by a mail order... and theres no one else i konw that has such a program

will unhooking the battery and resetting the computer possibly reset the code and make it not show up for another couple thousand miles? when i cleared the DTC's with the handheld tuner that i USED to use before the cam, it comes right back up, so i'm guessing its a no - just thought i'd give it a try...

is there harm in having my tuner ignore that DTC??? the same way i have him ignore the fact that i don thave rear o2 sensors?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ehhh, I'm not sure that would be a great idea. I don't know specifically what effect it would have on the car, but I personally wouldn't ignore such a code like that. It's ok to ignore 02 codes because you you're doing things that you know are OK, but I'm not so sure this one can be treated like that. Maybe someone else with more info can chime in on this one.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Regular

okay thanks!!
anyone?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

no other thoughts on whether the car can be run ignoring this code?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

no it cannot this is serious it not a big problem but take it to the dealership and with the GM tech II they can fix this for something like $25, you can throw a rod if you nail it now...your valvetrain and crankshaft are not timed essentially
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

ok cool... thanks, i appreciate it
Old 06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dnm12
no it cannot this is serious it not a big problem but take it to the dealership and with the GM tech II they can fix this for something like $25, you can throw a rod if you nail it now...your valvetrain and crankshaft are not timed essentially
welp, definitely not going to be $25... I talked to 3 GM dealers this afternoon, and they all want in the $80 range to hook the Tech2 to it and learn it... So, looks like i'm gonna have to bite the bullet i guess
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

what!!!!!!!!!! it takes 5 seconds tell them that you know that, all they have to do is plug in tech II and rev the friggin motor!!!!! just go around back and talk directly to a mechanic and just pay him, i am serious it takes less then 5 minutes how could it be $80 i thought $25 was a rip and thats what i paid at a GM dealer
Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

what!!!!!!!!!! it takes 5 seconds tell them that you know that, all they have to do is plug in tech II and rev the friggin motor!!!!! just go around back and talk directly to a mechanic and just pay him, i am serious it takes less then 5 minutes how could it be $80 i thought $25 was a rip and thats what i paid at a GM dealer
hey man, i know exactly what you are talking about... makes me really friggin mad...
although, i found a local repair shop that doesnt have a techII, but a comparable tuner (or w/e) that said he'll do it for $30... so, i dunno... even tho that's still rediculous for all the more it takes, its the best i've found....

i hate to have it done tho, b/c until i find out the results of my leak-down test, i dunno what's going to happen... i could end up getting more stuff for the motor and then needing anothre tune, and then having to do this all over again... but, owell... gotta do what cha gotta do
Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? The crank and cam are timed via the timing set, nothing electronic is involved. Ignition timing is a different story.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

yes, yes yourcorrect but the fuel impulses and ignition are off

Quick Reply: Trouble Code - P1336